Saturday, July 09, 2005

I got meme'd

      As long-time readers know, I hardly ever do memes or online quizzes. Naturally from that statement, you know that I'm about to share one. Joel meme'd me. Blame him.
      1. How many books do you own?
      Approximately 1,500 books, mostly science fiction and fantasy with a good amount of mystery and reference.
      2. Last book read?
      Yucatan Deep by Tom Morrisey.
      A Christian suspense novel about cave diving. Very technical and not much suspense, but several characters were interesting beyond the story.
      3. Last book purchased?
      I purchased four at the same time.
      The Hallowed Hunt by Lois McMaster Bujold. Bujold is one of the finest fantasy and science fiction writers working today.
      Three Hands of Scorpio by Andre Norton. This is the last book by the late Andre Norton.
      Beast Master's Planet by Andre Norton. A reprint of two earlier novels by Andre Norton, The Beast Master and Lord of Thunder.
      Cat's Eyewitness by Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown. The latest entry in an excellent mystery series, which is more about the characters than the mystery itself.
      4. Name five fiction books that mean a lot to you.
      I'm going to cheat on this one a bit and talk about some favorite series.
      The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. I read this trilogy in college and still recall the awe it inspired in me.
      The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson. These six books stunned me with their exploration of guilt and repentance in an unique fantasy world. He's currently writing The Final Chronicle of Thomas Covenant. I hope it will live up to what has gone before.
      The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. Wise, witty and flat-out funny fantasy that still manages to have a point. I buy any Pratchett as soon as the books come out. I recommend him highly.
      The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. A fascinating twist on the Arthur story as Cooper details an eon-long battle between the Light and the Dark. Although a lot of the main characters are children and teenagers, don't mistake these books as being only for their age group.
      The Time Quartet by Madeleine L'Engle, which includes A Wrinkle in Time. Once again marketed as being for young people, these books explore what it means to be human with sorrows and joys.
      5. Tag five more people.
      Okay, I tag the writers of Frenzied's Frolics, Trixie's Home, Erudite Redneck, Sweet Sweat and Soul Patches. Remember, blame Joel!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

OK...ok. *whine*

Unknown said...

Yes, blame ME! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Erudite Redneck said...

I knew you lived in a fantasy world, but dude! :-)

Trixie said...

This is going to take some time...

night-rider said...

I'm kinda pleased and flattered that someone would at last tag me for one of these things, but I gotta say I wish it hadn't been this one. Now I'm going to have to do some self-revelation I might have preferred to keep to myself!