Sunday, May 29, 2011

A drive in the country

My roomie and I just got back from a drive in the country. I was restless and wanted to go out and ride around. There's a little lake about a mile from my house that we circle every now and then to see what animals we can see.

Tonight we saw two raccoons and four deer. The raccoons were scrambling alongside the road and disappeared into the trees. The deer were bedded down near the road in a meadow. They raised their heads and watched us for a long time. We drove on when another car approached from the other direction.

The frogs were in full chorus as were the crickets. The air rushed through the open car windows bringing the scents of the lake and woods.

I could see the stars in the dark water. I could see the porch lights of a house across the lake. I could see the shadows the trees cast.

I felt something in me relax, something that I didn't even know was clenched. For a little while, there was only the country road in front of the headlights and the woods alongside. I stopped thinking, stopped fretting, stopped doing anything except experiencing the moment.

I remembered driving in the country with my brother and sisters. We would wrap blankets around us and scramble into the back of a pickup truck and ride arms outstretched as my dad and mom drove us around the section line. Sometimes we sang. Sometimes we were quiet. Sometimes we talked.

I hadn't thought of those times in years. To my surprise, I found my eyes watering. Had to be the wind. Or maybe allergies. Or maybe it was the stars.

It was late so we drove home filled with the lovely quiet and dark.

Buy Floozy and Other Stories at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories at Amazon.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories in paperback at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories in hardcover at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in soft cover at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in hardcover at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy, MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf Harbor

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I love those moments. Rachel and I took a drive to the beach yesterday and I told her about going on drives when I was little. I'd stare out the window, amazed at the beauty of everything, and try to find which cloud Heaven was on.

Wendy said...

Sounds like it was just what you needed. BTW, we miss you at the other blog, but I guess Facebook is eating up your time. ;)

SBB said...

Michelle, I'm glad you had those moments in your childhood, too.

EJ! How could you say that about Facebook and me? You know we're only friends. :) And y'all seem to be doing fine at the other blog, but I will make it a point to drop by tomorrow and stir up some trouble.