Thursday, April 21, 2011

Shelving

Tonight I put up a shelf in my bedroom. Four more feet of book storage! I was able to move books around and get access to books that had been hidden by the books in front of them or on top of them. I think one more shelf will do make a huge difference in how my bookshelves look and are arranged.

I even found duplicate copies of books. Book that I had purchased and forgot that I did or couldn’t find when I needed them so I purchased another copy. Extras go into the book sale pile. In fact, I found about three feet or so of more books for the book sale. Most of them aren't not extras, but books I don't want any more.

It feels good to look at shelves that aren’t overburdened. I’m looking forward to when all the shelves look that good.

Of course, I have too many books. I don’t know a writer who doesn’t. We love books, we love having them around, and we re-read our favorites often. I have several that I read once a year because I enjoy living those lives again. My heroes are the authors who can write books people re-read again and again. My goal is to write that well.

My re-readable authors? Terry Pratchett, Stephen R. Donaldson (Covenant series only), Andre Norton (dated but oh so readable), Jim Butcher, Mercedes Lackey, Holly Lisle, Susanna Gregory, etc. I have a bunch, which explains my overflowing shelves.

Out of the blue, I just realized something. That’s what can happen with a timed writing. All sorts of things can bubble up. What I realized was this: I miss Christmas. Don’t know why that came up, but it did, and I’ve typed it for you to read and ponder.

Anyway, enough for tonight. Talk to you tomorrow.

Buy Floozy and Other Stories in paperback at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories in hardcover at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Lulu.com Buy Murder by the Acre at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in soft cover at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in hardcover at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy, MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf Harbor

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Damn. We have similar tastes in authors. Don't know that many folks who read Holly Lisle, for example.

SBB said...

I have a lot of Holly's books. Even a SIGNED one. :) I hope you're jealous.