Sunday, April 17, 2011

Lazy Sunday

A lazy Sunday for me. Didn't do too much. Should have napped in the afternoon, but instead spent it playing World of Warcraft. I'm now a 78th level character and only a bit from being 79th. Then there's the long haul to 80. The game maxes at 85, but when I reach 80, I'll get to explore a new land and face new monsters. Whew. No, I mean whee!

I rarely play WoW, so all my friends who play have been 85 for a long time now. I can play for a couple of hours for a few days, and then I get bored. And frustrated. I will never be that committed to the game.

Some people are. They live and breathe WoW. Mostly young people, but I've met some older folks, too. Many times it is their complete social life, so it's vital to their emotional well-being. Yes, I know, it seems like they're freaks, but it's really no different from someone who has invested their time in football or basketball or poker or knitting or anything else that demands a lot from the participant. Yes, some people carry it too far, but that's true for anything we pursue to the exclusion of all else. Aristotle said, "Moderation in all things," and that's good advice.

I think as we get older, it's hard to wholly commit to anything. We grow wise enough to see the ups and downs of any pursuit, and thus we may commit, but not all the way. This is not a bad thing, but it can be if it keep us from doing anything. We have to have enough commitment to take the first step. From there all else will follow.

And now I think I will close on that. Hope your first steps are productive and helpful. Talk to you tomorrow.

Buy Floozy and Other Stories in paperback at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories in hardcover at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in soft cover at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in hardcover at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy, MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf Harbor

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You play World of Warcrack? My image of you has suddenly changed.

Geek ;-)

SBB said...

Right down to my Farscape undies, Joel! :)