Saturday, April 16, 2011

Seder

I went to a seder dinner tonight at a local church. It’s the first time I’ve been to one, and it was fascinating. Several of my friends attended also, so we had a lively table. I was impressed by the symbolism and the spirituality of the dinner. Some things I didn’t quite understand and will do a bit of research. If you ever get a chance to attend one, do. Or put on one yourself. (Apparently there are kits that tell you how to do this.) Worthwhile to attend and participate.

This is, of course, a timed writing. I had a friend – a blog reader if you can believe it in these days of declining readership – ask me what a timed writing is. It’s simply a period of time – say, five or ten minutes – where you write as fast as you can without editing and without restraint. You pour your words out. It’s a technique to avoid your internal editor, that little guy that stands at your shoulder telling you that your work is not good.

I used to do timed writings all the time, but I got out of the habit. But it’s like exercising. You must do sprints or warm-ups to get yourself ready for the race. Since my writing was suffering, I decided it was time to get back to the basics. Timed writings, writing prompts, reading books about writing and creativity, etc. These disciplines enabled me to write my first two books, and they will help me write my third and more.

So far, so good.

We had a lot of high winds the last couple of days and some rain. We still need a lot more rain. I think we’re down nearly 10 inches for the year so far. It’s going to be a hot, dry summer, I’m afraid. Crops in Oklahoma and other states have already been affected by the drought. This will make food prices go up, bad news when we’re already struggling with gasoline prices.

Wish I could afford an electric car. Wish there was an affordable electric car on the market. They all seem to be priced beyond what the ordinary consumer can pay. Perhaps the price will come down as the technology improves, but I doubt it. I think there are a lot of vested interests who don’t want to see the electric car succeed.

Anyway, that’s all my time. Hope you had a great evening and have a wonderful tomorrow. Talk to you then.

Buy Floozy and Other Stories in paperback at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories in hardcover at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in soft cover at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in hardcover at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy, MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf Harbor

No comments: