Monday, September 19, 2005

Manic Monday

      Busy at work today and then busy at home, trying to get the Great Filing Project finished. I didn't make it to the gym tonight, but I intend to tomorrow night.
      Ever hear of Larissa Lone? I hadn't until recently. She's a writer who lost everything during Hurricane Katrina. Other writers and editors are raising money for her and her family. One of the ways they're doing it is by auctioning off items on EBay, including manuscript critiques by various writers and at least one editor. I thought it was a great opportunity to help someone who needs the help as well as maybe get some help on my writing. So far, I've been outbid on everything I've bid for. My budget doesn't allow for much, but I thought maybe I'd get something. (I bid on three manuscript critiques and a couple of autographed books.) I hope whoever gets those items appreciates them. I'm sure Larissa Lone will appreciate their aid.
      My town ended up not getting any evacuees from Katrina. Apparently there was a tangle of red tape between the Red Cross and the local and state governments. There were a lot of disappointed people here. The supplies collected will be sent on to the Red Cross or to places that did get evacuees. I'm still proud of my town for the generosity and compassion its residents showed; not so proud of our elected officials.
      Well, that's all I have to say tonight. Take care. Catch you tomorrow.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's great your town prepared to take in people and, even though they didn't get them, still was able to raise enough to send over.

Slim said...

I love the song this post is titled after.

I'm sorry your town didn't get any evacuees, but at least it cared enough to try. I've heard many people at my job say they were glad they didn't have to mess with evacuees in our town. They were worried about the type of people that might arrive, like gang members I suppose. The reports from the convention center and Superdome frightened a lot of people.

Gloria Williams said...

Your town should be proud of itself! Obviously it has many compassionate and kind people. We need more like it.

Anonymous said...

Many towns didn't receive evacuees after preparing for them. I'm very disappointed by FEMA and state and local officials in this. I hope Bush can straighten Homeland Security out before our next disaster.