Friday, September 30, 2005

Confession

      I have a confession to make. It's not nice. It's a failing. I know it is, but I doubt I'll change. It's this: There are a lot of things in this world that I don't care about. Like Tom Delay's supposed crimes. Or whose fault it was in New Orleans. Or anything else that those dolts in Washington do. I don't care. I try to. I know it's important. You can read exhaustive and exhausting debates on other blogs and listen to the debates on Public Radio. The debaters care. Some people go around in a state of constant outrage. Once I admired their energy.
      But those people are important. Listen to Public Radio. Read the editorial page of the newspaper. Read the blogs and websites. They're important. Their opinions are important. People quote the Bible, philosophers, Founding Fathers, Rush Limbaugh, Al Franken, the Bill of Rights, the New York Times, the Washington Post, secret sources, the CIA, the Toran, the Koran, and the also rans. Everyone has an opinion and the wind to blow it out there so that everyone can smell it. Good for them.
      But it doesn't seem to mean anything. They change nothing. No one convinces anyone of anything. They yell and fight and in the end nothing changes. It's the same fight every time; names may change, but nothing else ever does. It bores me quickly.
      Let me tell you what interests me. Let me tell me of my friend Randall. His church has arranged to take volunteers to Louisiana to help clean and rebuild. That's interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing his story when he returns.
      My friend Linda has life threatening cancer, but is taking a brand new drug that may give her a miracle. That's interesting. I'm looking forward and praying for a good report.
      My Mikey has learned how to spell his name. Loudly, but all the letters are there. That's interesting. That's wonderful.
      I have more, but I guess it comes down to this. I don't care about abstractions. I care about people. Those Change the World links at the left aren't there for show. I give as much as I can to those organizations because they're trying to change the world for the better. They're out there on front lines. They're actually important. They're who you should be supporting or others like them. Stop talking and start doing something!
      This may sound like I'm attacking those other people. I don't mean it that way. Really, I don't. Everyone has the right to spend their time as they wish, but don't expect me to participate or even listen or read. I got taken to task harshly today because I don't wade into those fights with my elbows flying. I was told that I had an "obligation" and a "duty." To be heard. To be a part of the process. To participate. Blah, blah, blah.
      Well, I don't do that. And now you know why.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

;)

Trixie said...

I get sucked into those things more often than I should, at other blogs, but I've drawn a line (thin and small as it may be) not to have those kind of discussions on my blog.
So what's my reward for that? I want to talk about the life issues that matter to me, but I get a smattering of replies (not even a healthy handful.)
Numbers shouldn't be my motivation, I know that, but honestly it does get depressing. I should instead be grateful that the few responses I get are from high-quality readers who THINK and FEEL. (And there is something to that "just because everyone else is...." parental argument.)
Tomorrow I have first responder training for a hurricane mission trip. I want to serve too, and I am praying that the timing of the mission trip will make it possible for me to go.
That certainly would be more worthwhile than the vitriolic debates, I agree.

Gloria Williams said...

It's hard not to be dragged in, Trixie. I've just made the choice to not go to those blogs. They don't do anything except upset me. And the real world is more important than politics. The problem is that politics impacts the real world, sadly enough.

Anonymous said...

Tech,
I don't like to get sucked into those never ending political debates on other blogs or on certain news shows, it gets sooooo mundane. I do however, think we should all keep up with what's going on in the world, pray, and be vigilant. And, we should be on fire for something, be it politics, family, religion, something.
Also, I think we get bombarded every day by forwards telling touching stories about people who have undergone hardships, we hear human interest stories on the news, in mags, and movies. We get numb to them after awhile. In truth everyone of us has a story. I have gotten jaded unfortunely. I can't help it. I have a hard time believing everything I hear, and though I want to volunteer to help others, especially those in our own backyard, I feel crippled by the onslaught of constant crys for help. What I really like to hear about is how others live their lives, what they do everyday, what their interests are, what gets them fired up. I guess thats what keeps me coming back to Harbour St Tech, you have this circle of interesting friends and I love to read your conversations about what is going on and how you feel. Keep up the good work!! Susan2

SBB said...

It's hard not to be drawn into the numbers game, Trixie. "Quality rather than quantity" should be our motto, but that seems hollow sometimes. For me, I don't want to produce anything that I'm not proud of. Harbor Street is a certain type of blog, and it will attract people who respond to it. I'm proud of it. Once in a while, I think maybe I'd like for it to be wildly popular, but then I think of the headaches involved with that and the necessary warping of my integrity. I won't be a comments whore. It's my choice just as it's yours. And we can be proud of that.

Thanks for thinking that I'd have an interesting take on things, RebelAngel, but truthfully, what I'd most like to say to a lot of people typing themselve ragged on the Net is this: "Get up, turn off the computer, take a walk. Help someone who needs it. Enjoy a quiet moment with your loved ones. Life takes place out there." I doubt most people would find that helpful.

Michelle, nice to know you're reading me. :) Ditto, Gloria.

Randall, thanks.

Susan2, thanks and it's so good to see you! I was wondering about you the other day.

Frenzied, thank you.

Michelle said...

Yes, always reading, or would that be "reading" as in understanding? Or even perhaps "reeding" which if you define by design then that could be taken as "milling" which in the intransitive sense would be "moving in a circle" (milling about). All three, I think, apply.

:) My wink was a mere sign of support and agreement.

Erudite Redneck said...

Tech ol' buddy, whoever harangued you over this alleged "duty" -- I'll be glad to whup their butts. :-) Just kidding.

Politics and government and the role of religion and faith and economics and ... and ... and ... that's my obsession. Oh, and history. But I don't *require* my friends, or even my bloggy buddies, to dig it.

I'll see ya next time I put up pictures of my kitty, or write about home, or Bird -- 'cause that's what I'm about, too. :)

GO POKES!
GO (Poor, Pitiful) POKES!

(I was there last Saturday; it was the single worst OSU game I have ever seen. Bring on wrestling!)

--ER