Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I will not take these things for granted

      A beautiful fall day. I felt the sunshine on my face like a blessing today. So winter's on its way? So what? Today it's still warm.
      My computer. It gives me problems sometimes, but it keeps plugging along, outdated as it is. It helps me write and be creative in ways I couldn't have imagined when I was a kid pounding away on a Smith-Corona.
      My job. Lots of people don't have one. It's not perfect job in many ways, but it pays my bills and keeps me off the streets. That's no little thing.
      A roof over my head. It's a modest house, it needs paint and some repairs, but many poor people would love to have it. Many people have nothing at all between them and the bitter winds and the burning sun.
      Food on my table. Millions of men and women, millions of children struggle with starvation. Truly I live in a land of plenty. The Change the World links are to remind me and my readers to give from our abundance to those who have not.
      My country. It isn't perfect, but it's the best that humanity has ever been able to produce. I'm not one to throw out the baby with the bathwater. We'll fix the problems. We'll continue to grow and change and get better. That's what we do.
      My dear friends. A close second to my family in my affections. I appreciate the laughter and lunches and talks about life, politics, and everything else.
      My precious family. In the end, they're the people I love the most and who count on me and on whom I depend. We've been together a long time, and God willing, have many more years to go.
      My personal salvation. I don't preach to people. I'm not built that way. But it would be a mistake to assume that my silence meant that I didn't take my spiritual life seriously. I hope that people can see by my life and by how I live that there's something more to this life, that we aren't alone by any means, and that even the smallest of us matter in this vast universe. I know I fail in this daily, but the struggle makes life worthwhile.
      Every now and then, I have to remind myself to not take these things for granted.
      Good night.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Well said. And an awesome reminder that the small challenges each day are really gifts.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Words to live by. But I find it hard to see the person who wrote Pagan can write this also. Your head must be a confusing place! :)

Linda said...

Well said!

Gloria Williams said...

Possibly, Patriot, you don't understand how a good writer can write many viewpoints well. A good writer can write from the viewpoint of the opposite sex, of a person from a different race or religion, or even that of an eight-armed alien from Rigel 7! Tech is a good writer.

This post was beautifully written, Tech. Thank you. I need those reminders, too.

Mark said...

Sometimes we need to back up and take a good look at the things that are really important to us.

And sonetimes when we need to, we need someone to remind us to do just that. Thabk you, Tech.

Gloria Williams said...

Tech, Pagan sparked a post over on SAHW. Check it out.

Slim said...

These are good words, Tech. I'm not a Christian, but I think I am spiritual. They moved me.