Friday, September 30, 2011

Crash

My desktop computer died this evening. I have a laptop that I'm using to post this, but the desktop is my primary design and writing tool. Looks like I'm going to have to reinstall the operating system and just about everything else. I have a Carbonite backup so I'm hoping all my data is safe. It's going to be a long haul, and I don't know for sure that will fix the problem.

The hard disk has passed the diagnostics and all other hardware tests are coming up fine, but it won't load Windows. Oh, Microsoft, I've always wanted to love your products, but they're unreliable, illogical, and expensive. I never cared if your operating system was cool, just that it worked. Perhaps we don't show our appreciation for that enough so you keep trying to wow us. You don't have to do that. Just make products that simply work. We may flirt with other companies, but we'll always come back to you if you'd just make products that work.

I'm not enjoying all this. System is now loaded and functioning, but I've lost everything. Have to install a gazillion drivers, updates, programs, etc. Sigh. Sure hope Carbonite is everything they advertise it to be. Hope I had it set up right. A little late now to be worrying about that, I guess. Either my data is there, or it's not. I'll handle the situation either way. Although one way will involve more yelling and weeping.

I'm going to just load back in the programs I use all the time. I always had too much stuff on this system. I'm hoping it will be more stable now that it won't have as many programs loaded. I have my laptop set up that way, but my laptop isn't as fun as my desktop, mostly because it only had a handful of programs ever installed on it.

I'll update you as the night proceeds. I don't think I'm going to bed anytime soon.

No comments: