Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Q&A

I don't know how you get anyone to buy your book. I mention this because I get asked a lot about selling by various people who have their own books. And due to my modest success at self-publishing, they ask various questions. Here are a few questions I was asked at the Chisholm Trail Book Festival as I wandered and spoke to the other attendees.

What's your most effective way of selling books?
Online with my blog, Facebook, and emails, which basically just tell my family and friends that my book is available and they'd better buy it if they know what's good for them. And secondly, book signings. For the most part, I've always had good book signings. And finally, begging on the street.

Do bookmarks sell books?
No, I don't think so. Not directly. Mostly I use them as a gift for the purchasers and at the local library. Every bit of publicity helps, but I've only had one purchase that I know of that I can link to my bookmarks. But like my girlfriends, they're pretty and not too expensive and I like them.

What about postcards?
Once again, not sure. I mail postcards to 100 libraries in Oklahoma and a handful in Texas and Arkansas. I know I've received a few sales from them because of my book(s) being listed in those libraries. Recently I started sending postcards to independent bookstores. No sales that I know of yet, but at least I know that I'm helping the postal service carry on.

Does your newspaper do a story on you?
Yes. They've always been good about publishing stories on me. They keep checking the police blotter, but I haven't show up there. Yet.

Ever done radio?
Just once. I was very nervous and didn't do a good job. It wasn't effective. When I think of it, it makes me cringe. Thanks for bringing up such a painful subject.

Does your publisher do much to help you?
No. They do provide listings on their website and provide a sample news release (that I've never used), but that's it. You can purchase other publicity from them, but I never have. They keep offering it to me, almost pleading for my money, but too many creditors are before them.

Have you ever purchased a publicity campaign from an agency?
No. I know several authors who have, and they have been disappointed. Of course, I've heard of that exception who sells thousands of books from a campaign, but it's as rare as a honest Congressman.

Why do you write?
Keeps me from planning the overthrow of civilization. Many NSA agents purchase my books just to keep me occupied.

Seriously, why do you write?
For the hot babes and the luxurious lifestyle.

Really?
Ah, no. I write because I write. Hasn't been a time in my life when I wasn't writing or thinking about writing. Just made that way, I think. Yeah, I know. A rotten trick on me.

Why do you write mysteries?
I like the intellectual puzzles in good mysteries. And murder is always interesting, don't you think? I mean, not in your living room because blood stains are hard to get out of carpet so look for a hard surface before you dispatch your spouse, but overall murder is interesting. Why are you moving away from me? That makes me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.

Do you write anything else?
Fantasy because I read a lot of fantasy. Never anything published, but maybe someday ... when I'm old and gray ... grayer, I mean.

And that ends that Q&A. Hope you enjoyed it. You did, didn't you? Cause if you didn't ... that makes me angry ...

Buy Floozy and Other Stories at Amazon.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories in paperback at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories in hardcover at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in soft cover at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in hardcover at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy, MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf Harbor

3 comments:

Jean said...

*Edging to the fringe of the blog* I did enjoy it. Lovely Q&A session. Thank you.

SBB said...

My pleasure. Come back over here. Right here. :)

Gail Henderson said...

I have two questions: Why am I just now reading your blog? I love it! And, can't you teach a writing class on your own? I need the inspiration! Twice a month? A small group? Around your kitchen table? Please?