Saturday, October 01, 2011

5 a.m.

Stayed up to 5 a.m. working on the desktop computer. So far, it's working again, but I'm still installing updates, drivers, and programs. Need to install my printer again, too. It's been quite a day. After I went to bed, I slept for about three hours and got up again and started working on the computer again. That's been my pattern all day: work for a couple of hours, nap, and work again.

I've installed over 275 updates and drivers. I'm amazed. Admittedly the system is five years old, but still, that seems like a lot. But things are calming down on the system considerably so I'm hopeful I'm nearly at the end of this. Of course, then I will start installing programs and all their updates. This may never end.

I do understand why people just go out and buy a new computer rather than go through this process. I think if I could afford it, I would have, but I can't. Well, I could probably manage a new computer, but I have a bunch of programs that won't run on Windows 7. They would have to be upgraded or replaced. Can't afford to do all that. Don't want to do all that. Certainly not in one huge event. I want to upgrade slowly as need be.

About three this morning, I was thinking about computers and whether or not I could do what I want to do without one. Computers bring a lot into our lives, but they take a lot away, too. I know my writing might not have gone the places it has without a computer. And I couldn't make the cards or any of other design projects without it -- or I think that, but people had to be able to do these things before computers, but maybe not as quickly or as productively. Who knows what I would have devoted my life to if there hadn't been an electronic monster on my desk most of my adult life?

Well, that's a path for another life. Maybe somewhere in the multiverse, a Stephen is doing just that: Making his way through an adventuresome life in the outdoors without the use of electronics. Maybe people keep telling him to get one, but he always says, "No, maybe someday, but right now, I'm living in the real world." I wonder how that works out for him.

No comments: