Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Waiting for Wednesday

      I'd like to call attention to my commenters. They're funny, wise and decent people. I've only been trolled a few times, and I'm grateful, even more so for a fine group of people who read my blog and give encouragement and lend their humor and intelligence to Harbor Street. Y'all are cool, ya know! Should I ever become published, I will dedicate a book to you.
      Do you wait for Wednesday, too? It's the middle of my week. From noon on, I feel like the week is rushing to the weekend. The weekend when I have time to write and play on my computer and call friends and all the things that give me joy. It's a shame that debt keeps so many of us working so hard that we can enjoy life only in small doses. Or maybe it makes us appreciate those times even more. Would our time be as precious if we had all we wanted? We might waste it instead of treasuring it. We humans are like that; give us what we want and we find it wasn't what we wanted and so we misuse what was precious to us. Wisdom is, I think, learning to cherish what needs to be cherished. Or as a writer I admire put it: choosing clear, cold water and a sword. (Read Talyn by Holly Lisle for an explanation.)
      Someone once said that the true test of your character is what you do when no one is looking. I've been thinking about that lately, about the choices I've made and the other paths I could have walked. I was told recently that I'm unyielding. It wasn't meant as a compliment, but I think I will take it as such. I know what's right and I know what's wrong. I know how to choose between the two. And mostly I think I chose the former, but I know of times when I've chose the latter. I'm not perfect, not by a long shot, but ... unyielding, yeah, I'm that. When something is wrong, then we have to speak out against it. We have to oppose it. To not do so means that we simply don't care.
      I must admit that sometimes I get tired of caring. People who don't care seem to have better lives than mine. They have all things that this world measures success by: money, lovers, travel, etc. I guess it makes me small-minded to say that I'd like a few of those cherries on my plate. Well, who doesn't? It's getting those cherries without sacrificing our morals and ideas -- that's the hard thing. I don't know how it's done, but I know people do it. And maybe we will, too. If not, well, heck, there are worse things in this world than working hard and getting by. Don't you think so?
      Learning to take joy in the journey, that's what I'm trying to do. To enjoy time with friends, to embrace the town and state and nation in which I live, to help where I can and to pray and work without ceasing for the better world around the corner of tomorrow.
      Those are my goals. I probably won't achieve them wholly. But the striving for them is what makes life worthwhile. That's my take on things this Wednesday on the 14th day of the month of September in the 2005th year of our Lord. Good night y'all. Pleasant dreams and a good morrow to you and yours.

7 comments:

Trixie said...

Yeah! What you said! Big thumbs up!

I love Wednesdays too. Not only is it the pivot point of the week, but it's also the night where I get to make music, which helps fill up my soul.

CrystalDiggory said...

I've been told by someone wiser than me, that the majority of people are right where they want to be in life. It sounds like you've found your niche. And that's a good thing.

Mark said...

Thanks for the compliment. (I assume you are including me in that group of funny, wise and decent people.)

I like to come here and read your comments eswpecially when the world of partisan politics get me down.

It is we that should be grateful to you.

Unknown said...

"Greed is Good."

"But what happens when all that plastic surgery matches your lonely heart?"

Gloria Williams said...

Beautifully written, my friend. And thank you for this blog. It's a bright spot in my day. :)

Slim said...

I relate to a lot of what you've written here. I think it's important to find a job in which you get to express yourself and enjoy. Otherwise it's years of misery.

Kathleen Pequignot said...

"Learning to take joy in the journey"---sounds like a great plan to me! Best wishes to you. :)