Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Sulfur fountain at Sulphur


An artesian fountain of sulfur water at (appropriately enough) Sulphur, Oklahoma. We stopped here on our way back from Turner Falls Park so that I could take a few pictures. The rotten egg odor was quite strong, but you can get used to it. They had a drinking fountain where you could take a few swallows of the water. I tried it out. It tasted bad, but there was a family filling up jugs with the water. Many people consider the water to be healthful and drink a glass of it daily.
Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.

9 comments:

CrystalDiggory said...

There's still water -- any kind of water -- that you can drink straight from the source? I guess I thought everything had to be processed and purified these days. Very nice pic.

Mark said...

I live in Clear Spring, Md, a town named for the spring of crystal clear water that starts up in the Appalacians somewhere and meanders through my back yard.

A few doors down from my place is a sign announcing that fact and a little walkway that leads down to a place where you can stand directly over the spring and look down, all the way down to the bottom.

Off to the side of this place is a small, almost unnoticable sign that says, "Caution: Water unfit to drink!"

Slim said...

So that's just a pipe in the ground? Wow. That's a lot of water.

Slim said...

Good photo, too!

Michelle said...

I like the photo. Nicely saturated and detailed.

The smell of sulfer reminds of the days when my brother would play with his chemistry kit. (Bleah...we were always his guinneas.) Remember those? They used to be really popular in the 70's, along with erector sets.

Nettie said...

Looks yummy!

SBB said...

Michelle, I still play with chemistry sets. I never grew up! :)

Crystal, I guess the sulfur kills any bad germs in the water. I hope so. And thank you, Slim and Michelle for the compliment on the photo.

That's a good story, Mark! Ironic, even.

Hi, Nettie. Drop by again!

Michelle said...

Growing up in all things isn't always such a good thing.

So, do you make stuff you can eat. My brother always did...correction - he Told us we could eat it. lol

Might explain a few things...

Gloria Williams said...

"Taking the waters" was a popular thing to do in times past.