Sunday, September 11, 2005

Pleasant Valley Sunday

      A busy Sunday, but as always not enough time to get done all the things I'd like to have done and that's just how it goes. Honestly, I think I could have done everything, but I took a nap or two, watched a bit of TV and generally behaved like a good couch potato. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day, as Miss Scarlett was prone to say. (I bet that got annoying pretty quick.)
      The theater board meeting today went well. I guess. I'm feeling restless and didn't really enjoy being there. I can't see me continuing to be on the board much longer. I think they do good work, but I'm not sure if I fit in or that it's a proper use of my time when I've got so many other personal projects that I need to do.
      Speaking of those projects, what oh what am I going to do about my book? It just drags on and on. I write this way, I write that way, I send my characters here, I send them there, but somehow we can't seem reach the end. I've finished every book I've started writing, but I've started to wonder if maybe this one will finish me!
      The problem is -- and this is a killer -- that what I'm writing is boring me. If it's not keeping my interest, why should I expect it to keep the interest of a reader? So I back up, hack off the boring part and try again. And again. And again.
      I know there's a story in that thicket of words. It's a good story. It's got love and loss, honor and sorrow, passion and joy. It's hard to walk away from it, even though it might be beyond my skill with words.
      And on that slightly depressing note, good night and good morrow.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I love that word "thicket". When I say it, I always seem to sound like Maid Marian or something...

Cheer up Tech, there truly is always another day (or sometimes not, and what a perfect opportunity to think of what a good one you can make the one you're in), as cliche and annoying as it sounds, but who knows what it will bring!

Mark said...

I know exactly what you mean, Tech, except I know where I want my character to end up, I just don't know how to get him there.

I am about to introduce romance but I don't know how, it suddently occurring to me that I don't know anything about romance.

I've been married twice and I still know nothing of romance.

I guess that explains why I'm not nmarried now.

And now I'm depressed, too. Thanks a lot.

Gloria Williams said...

I hardly think Tech is responsible for your depression, Mark. :) You shouldn't feel bad. Most men know nothing about romance! ;)

Slim said...

As a man, I resemble --- I mean, resent that remark! :)

Mark said...

LOL!