Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Winter of Our Discontent

I've always loved the title of John Steinbeck's last novel published while he was alive. The Winter of Our Discontent. The tile comes from a line from Richard III by William Shakespeare: "Now is the winter of our discontent discontent made glorious summer by this son of York."

I read the novel years ago. Came away from it depressed. Not a book that I ever want to read again, but I do love the title.

Particularly these days.

I started 2011 with such high goals and hopes. Instead I got sick right off and lost nearly three weeks to the flu. Since then I've floundered. Still not over the effects of my illness, I'm tired all the time. The days are gray and long. I watch too much TV and read as many books as I can. Escapism in its purest form. I meander from one project to another, not making true progress on any of them. Too much of this could bring me down to the point that I couldn't make my way back up.

However, this week has been better. I was able to walk at the gym Monday and today and hope to walk tomorrow. I've slowly cleared my desk of my bills and sorted out my budget. I'm in the muddle of Murder by the Acre, but have faith my subconscious is working furiously to write our way out. The job situation is unchanged, but I know -- I KNOW -- that each rejection is one step closer to a job. Or self employment. (Or starvation. Except I won't starve. I'll move with one of my friends and leech off them. Don't tell them.)

And today the sun gave us a wonderful taste of spring. Not that winter is done with us yet -- there's an Arctic blast heading our way and should hit Monday -- but I appreciate the sunshine now.

I guess the weather is as good a metaphor for the creative life as any. Sometimes the skies are bright and the words flow and the projects sing, and other times you have to stumble away through the fog and survive the storms. It's not easy, and we lose our way occasionally. I do know, however, that if we keep on working at it, if we continue to pursue our artistic vision, eventually we will step out into the sunshine again. Or is that too hokey?

I don't think so. I like it. It works for me. What works for you?

Buy Floozy and Other Stories in paperback at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories in hardcover at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Barnes & Noble.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in soft cover at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in hardcover at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy, MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf Harbor

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're in the muddle of MBTM?? Sigh. I can't wait--get out of that muddle and back on the pony! ;)

Anonymous said...

It's the weather. We need sunshine and lots of it! Spring will come and you will get the book finished and it will be brilliant, as usual. Then we'll take the proceeds from your book and move closer to the equator!

Gail