Monday, July 02, 2007

All things ...

      Well, all things -- good or bad -- come to an end eventually. Yesterday, I resigned from the local community theater board. There were a multitude of reasons: I'm tired of doing the work and not being appreciated. I'm tired of the backbiting, sneaking around, and general childishness. But mostly I'm just tired. The fun was gone. The feeling of being part of something that was giving back to the community was gone.
      Naturally I'd like to think that they will suffer without me. Or fall apart. And come begging for my help. It's not going to happen. Other people will either step up or do better or do different than me, but things will get done. I'm not vain enough to think I'm irreplaceable. The group will continue. Probably even flourish.
      And I'll go on to other things. Murder by Dewey Decimal will come out this month, and I'm going to put some time into marketing it. I also want to format, edit, and rewrite Murder by the Acre so that it can be published in September or October. Then I'll participate in Novel Writing Month in November. After that, I'd like to publish Floozy, which is the collection of my humor columns. Amid all that activity, I want to catch up on my family newsletters and finish Darkness, Oklahoma and Dragons Gather. And naturally continue blogging. I also intend to lose more weight and continue to work on controlling my diabetes.
      I'm depressed, of course, and a little hurt. I put a lot of myself into the theater group, but I'm not defined by that group, I'm more than my activities with that group, and I'll flourish without that group. And now, enough about that group. They won't be mentioned here again.
      I hurt my back Saturday. I was hurrying around the house, doing laundry, filing, cleaning, and generally being fairly productive when I (stupidly) bent over to pick up a basket instead of kneeling. I felt my back pull and go numb. Sigh. Anyway, I immediately hit the painkillers and deep heating rub. I'm using my cane today, but I hope and think I won't progress to the walker if I'm really careful the next few days. And I intend to be.
      What else? Have you entered the July 2007 Giveaway yet? Read Saturday's post here, comment on that post, and be entered to win the hardcover edition of the exciting dark fantasy Talyn by Holly Lisle. Talyn is a top-notch book. You don't want to miss it.
      HOLD EVERYTHING! TODAY AT A FEW MINUTES BEFORE NOON, I RECEIVED MY PROOF COPY OF MURDER BY DEWEY DECIMAL!
      It was great to finally hold it in my hands. It's a book! A real honest-to-Guttenberg book! We're so close to it being published that I can almost taste it. (It tastes good.) Now I will read this copy and check for any errors that may have slipped by my fabulous proofreaders. Then I'll submit the changes to Lulu, and we'll have a book!
      This is very cool. It made my day. Talk you later.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not everything about the group is bad, though. I know you met some cool people! ;)

SBB said...

Yes, TL, that part was always cool. And producing the plays was cool. I had wonderful casts. I was very blessed in that regard.

Anonymous said...

It's tough when something's got to give so that something isn't your sanity. It's hard when it's something you enjoy(ed).

I'm so looking forward to my very own published copy of MBDD! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that particular group didn't recognize your contributions, Tech. I remember that group from when I lived there, and they were well-known for their silly dramas offstage. Your plays were a giant step up in quality from what they used to produce, and anyone who doesn't see that is a spiteful fool, and I know exactly who that applies to.

But enough about them! Your book is something to rejoice about! I can't wait to buy a copy! The next time I'm in town, I want to get it autographed please!

SBB said...

Yes, it is, FF. And I'm looking forward you having a copy, too!

Thanks for the support, Gloria. I appreciate you.

Anonymous said...

Drama queens the whole bunch of them! And I would know! :)

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE BOOK! LET THE PARTY BEGIN!

SBB said...

Thanks for the congrats, Slim!

Hey, are you the Slym that commented on the last post or do we have two of you running around?

Anonymous said...

That little theater group couldn't hold you forever. You're talent is too big for that town and I predict it'll pull you completely out of there soon.

A book! YAY! I want my own copy to hold, too!

Crystal

Jean said...

I'm sorry to hear about the theater group. I do know how tiresome it can be sometimes when you do the bulk of the work.

Congrats on MBDD. Looking forward to having it out for sale.

SBB said...

Thanks, Crystal!

Thanks, Jean!

:)

Anonymous said...

GREAT when do we (I) get a book!!!!
Skip the group I have been telling you that for ever!
Roen

Michelle said...

Woohoo! Congratulations!

Rain said...

Congratulations on your book! I am so happy for you.

Now you will have more time to focus on your health and that is a top priority. :0)