Thursday, July 26, 2007

In flight



      Of course, you know the launch of Murder by Dewey Decimal took place yesterday. Many friends called or emailed me, some after they purchased MBDD. I appreciate all the support! Awesome and exciting!
      Most everyone had a question or two so I thought I'd answer them as best I could.
      When will MBDD be available online at Barnes & Noble?
       In four to six weeks if it is, but it may not be. Let me explain. After the book is published on Lulu, it's offered to wholesalers who may list it in their catalogs. At that time, on-line services can choose to offer a book. According to Lulu, most of the time, they do, but it's strictly up to the online retailer. However, you could go into your local B&N and order the book; it just may not be available online. This applies, unfortunately, to all online retailers, including Amazon. But with the book at wholesalers, you can go into any brick and mortar bookstore and order it.
      How much do you make per book?
      Nosy, aren't you? After Lulu takes out the manufacturing cost, their commission and tax withholding, I "pocket" less than $2 a book. And I won't even have that for a while. Lulu pays royalties quarterly so the first time I'll actually see a check will be in November, and then only if I have sold enough books to go over the royalty threshold, which I haven't. So I'm not quitting my day job. Yet.
      Could you give me one of your author's copies?
      Lulu doesn't provide author's copies. I have to purchase the book and pay shipping just like you do, except they don't charge my commission on any books I buy.
      Will you mail me a book?
      If you send me a check for the book and shipping. Otherwise, no. And honestly I'd rather not do that. It doesn’t make sense for you because you'd be paying for the shipping from Lulu to me and then the shipping from me to you.
      Why does the hardcover not have an IBSN number? Won't we need that to order it from a bookstore?
       The hardcover will only be available on Lulu.com. For it to be sold elsewhere, it would need another ISBN number, which I'd have to purchase. Don't have the money right now, but even if I did, I doubt I would. The retail markup would price the hardcover at $47. People might pay that for Harry Potter, but not for Bernard, Lisa and the chief. Furthermore, I've decided to discontinue the hardcover online and only sell it at my book signings. Several self-published authors on the Lulu forums said that they weren't able to sell their hardcovers online, but had been able to sell them at book signings. I won't remove the hardcover for a month or so because I've already had a couple of people say they want to order one so I'll give them a chance to do that first.
      If I mail a book to you, would you sign it and mail it back?
       Well, sure, if you include postage for me to mail it back. Once again, that doesn't make sense for you, because you would be paying for shipping three times: from Lulu to you, from you to me, and from me to you. That's the reason I came up with the autographed bookplates.
      What about that bookplate?
      I've designed a "deluxe" bookplate that I will sign and mail to anyone who's purchased the book while the supply lasts. The bookplates are numbered 1-100 and will be dated. They will be adhesive mounted so that they can be placed permanently in your book. I am only going to do 100 of the "deluxe" bookplates, although I hope I have cause to create a "standard" one later.
      How do I get a bookplate?
      Buy a book and then email your name and address to me. Simple as that.
      How soon will Murder by the Acre be out?
      I hope by October, but that really depends on how sales on this one. I'm not expecting a best-seller, but if I only sell 20, then perhaps I need to devote my energies to something more productive like running for president or conquering the world.
      How many did you sell on the launch day?
      
Seven. Oddly enough, all seven were purchased by men. No women have purchased a copy. Ladies, I forgot to mention that Bernard looks like Brad Pitt and spends much of the book without his shirt on. I didn't write that in the book, but you should imagine him or the man of your choice as you read it.
      And now it's time to get ready for work. Have a great day!


Order Murder by Dewey Decimal in paperback HERE!

Order Murder by Dewey Decimal in hardcover HERE!

Order Murder by Dewey Decimal merchandise HERE!

12 comments:

SBB said...

Since I posted this, my friend Rhonda stopped by and ordered a book while in my office. So now it's all men and Rhonda. She says she likes the sound of that! :)

SBB said...

And now my friend Marsha has purchased a copy. So it's Rhonda, Marsha and a bunch of men. Still good odds for the ladies! :)

Anonymous said...

You might want to check your total sold again. :)

Michelle said...

Love all the linsk to the hardcover. ;)

Michelle said...

Links... L i n k s

SBB said...

FF, did you buy one? See, I can't see who buys, only that someone has! I only know that someone has bought one when they tell me.

Michelle, all the other links are to the softcover. I'm equally happy when people buy either one!

Anonymous said...

One?

ONE???!

I bought FIVE!!!

Anonymous said...

:)

SBB said...

You're awesome, FF!

Michelle said...

I bought mine yesterday. I dont' have enough to buy as many as Frenzied, but I did tell people about it and gave them the link to go get one. :)

Anonymous said...

I figured you couldn't see who ordered, but I wondered if you saw a little jump in the total number. :)

I bought three for Christmas presents for my two sisters and my parents (all who love to read), one for my son, and a hardback for me. I don't think I've ever gotten Christmas shopping started this early. :)

SBB said...

Thanks, Michelle!

I do see order amounts, FF, so I saw that someone bought four softcovers yesterday and one hardback. On Cafepress, I actually see the names of the buyers. Thanks for your purchases!