Tuesday, July 03, 2007

My baby book

      I had a wonderful time yesterday with the proof copy of Murder by Dewey Decimal. I had it at my office and showed it to several of my customers, I took it to lunch with me to show the people I had lunch with, I cradled it in my arms and generally behaved as if it were a newborn. If I had burped it, no one would have been surprised.
      I didn't hide the fact it was self-published; in fact, I mentioned it to everyone. No one seemed to care one way or another. I got hugs and congrats and pats on the back until I was beaming. It was ego nourishment that I haven't received in a long time and was greatly enjoyed and appreciated.
      But last night I made an error that brought me back down to earth quick enough. I sat down and read the book looking for any errors that might have slipped by. I found two small ones -- left out words. I knew I needed to correct an error on the copyright page, which was primarily important, but since I was doing that, I thought I might as well correct anything else I found. I also found a place to insert a paragraph to address an issue that Jean had raised and that I thought needed to be addressed but hadn't been able to figure out a place where I could. Then I had to correct the back cover because the layout had changed when Lulu added the ISBN bar code. I uploaded all the corrections -- and per their procedure -- ordered another proof copy. At two in the morning, I woke up with the realization that I hadn't fixed the copyright page! Grrrrrrr.
      This morning I tried to cancel the proof copy I had ordered last night, but it was too late. So now I'm going to have to order another proof copy. Sigh. (I should have made a list of corrections and checked them off. Won't make that mistake again.) This won't impart anything except my bank account. The book should still be available on Lulu on July 15. I'll make an official announcement when it is so that y'all can order several for your friends and neighbors 'cause it's not too early to be buying for Christmas ... ahem.
      The other annoying thing is discovering how much mark-up that Amazon, Barnes & Nobles, Borders, etc., require. Yikes. I wanted to sell the book for around $13. Instead it's going to be $16.95, and that's squeezing my royalties down to a handful of change. If most people order from Lulu.com on this book, I might think about putting Murder by the Acre only on the Lulu marketplace. Then I could price the book lower and not worry about retail markup. Live and learn.
      Of course, I'd actually rather people ordered from Lulu. I'd like to make their best-selling list because then they give your book more exposure on their site (which helps sells and is free advertising). I have little hope of making Amazon's, of course, for this book. Maybe someday.
      My back is a little better, I think. I'm trying to take care of it. I'd like to start walking some again. That would be good for my back, losing weight, and controlling diabetes.
      Have you entered the July 2007 Giveaway yet? Read Saturday's post here, comment on that post, and be entered to win the hardcover edition of the exciting dark fantasy Talyn by Holly Lisle. Talyn is a top-notch book. You don't want to miss it.
      And now I have to go to work. Have a great day. Talk to you later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate when that happens. Lying in bed and THEN I remember something. Very annoying!

Don't take the third proof copy so hard. When you become famous you can sell it on eBay for a small fortune. :)

You're absolutely right about it not being too early to start shopping for Christmas. However, I have two friends, who like to read, with birthdays between now and then. I get the feeling they'll each be getting a copy. I'll be wanting those personalized autographed bookplates for them, too. :)

SBB said...

Exactly, FF, very annoying. If only I had thought of it before I sent the dang thing to be published!

That would be cool. Maybe it will happen!

You buy the books, you'll get the personalized autographed bookplates ... as long as you don't expect me to write a book to them! :) I think something along the lines of this: Dear (Birthday person's name), Your good friend Frenzed Feline had the good taste to purchase my book for you. She must really like you. Have a happy birthday! (Autograph)