Sunday, September 26, 2004

Going on

      I think it's important in any plan to improve your life that it moves forward and not back. You learn from past errors, but you don't wallow in them. No purpose is served in beating yourself up over your mistakes. You made them. You learned from them. You've moved on. The object is to build yourself up, not tear yourself down.
      This doesn't mean that suddenly you've become perfect or that you shouldn't experience remorse for wrongs that you have committed. I'm a great believer in trying to fix things, in repairing what you have broken. If you've done wrong, then make it right if you can.
      However, there is a point where that is counter-productive. It can sap your strength. You start believing that you aren't capable of anything more. Your past becomes your future because you believe you can't do better.
      So listen to this: You're okay. You're human. You made mistakes. It's not the end of the world. The sun will rise tomorrow and the next day and the day after that.
      I get asked sometimes why a rational, science oriented, intelligent guy like me believes in the "myth" of Christianity. (Of course, I don't believe it's a myth.) Because the central belief and core truth is that God loves us and forgives us. All that other stuff is just man attempting to place finite rules on the infinite. Don't blame God for what people do in His name. But that's not the point, either. The point is that God forgives us for our imperfections. Are you above God? How many universes have you created lately? If you haven't made a galaxy, then you should forgive yourself. It's simple as that.
      Do you remember the story of the sinner woman that a crowd of men brought before Jesus? They told Jesus that the woman should be stoned for her crimes. Jesus agreed with them and then said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." The crowd melted away. Jesus looked up and then told the woman, "Go and sin no more." No attacks on her past, no condemnation of her life. Just for her to go and do better. She got started on her improvement project that day.
      That's all I'm trying to do. An imperfect me trying to become better. Not a bad way to live. Not bad at all.
© 2004. All right reserved.

4 comments:

Trixie said...

Amen! That's all, just amen!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said, Tech. Susan2

Anonymous said...

You're talking to me, Tech. I always wanted to be perfect. That's what I thought my mom wanted. She pushed me too hard. I drove myself crazy in high school trying to be perfect. I had an eating disorder that nearly killed me. The love of my husband and learning to love my children have taught me to be kinder to myself. I'm still working on it. Thanks for the encouragement.
-Susan1

Gloria Williams said...

We are too hard on ourselves many times. It's hard to remember that God loves all of us no matter how flawed and imperfect we may be. Only HIS grace gives me courage to approach HIM.