Friday, September 17, 2004

     Interesting thing happened in my fantasy novel. One of my characters veered into discussing religions, specifically the failure of the various gods to actually address the needs of people. Bitter and eloquence in her anger, she rejected the gods. As she put it, "I can't deny they exist, but I can ignore them and wish they didn't." I hadn't realized that she felt that way until I started writing it. Unfortunately it didn't help move the plot along, but it was a short enough segment and so telling of her thoughts that it works in the novel. Finding out surprising things about the characters makes me feel like a real author.
     I've noticed in various novels that religions don't exist, or if they do, they're always characterized by some madman who murders people because God told him to do so. Curious and unrealistic.
     Many, many, many people in this world cling to their faiths and don't go around burying their neighbors in the back yard or serving them in a casserole. Their faith is part of what shapes them. Admittedly, many people don't have any faith -- or more usual, only have one around Christmas or Easter -- but even then, their lack tells a lot about their character. What is going to fill that void if not a religion? Love, sex, booze, commitment to a cause, a career? It's said that nature abhors a void. Something is going to grow there.
     I suspect most novelists avoid dealing with religion because it's one of most controversial subjects out there. Why give people a reason to shoot at your novel?

© 2004. All rights reserved.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are no coincedences in life, that's what I believe anyway. I am not a person to "surf the web" and only recently heard of "bloggers" while watching the news about "rathergate". I wanted to investigate and came upon your site. I was intrigued and ended up reading every entry you have made recently. There are so many parallels that I had to laugh, but I won't bore you with the details. I couldn't find another way to contact you, other than this. I find you charming and funny. I am a writer(wanttobe) too. My full time profession being something far removed, I don't have time to dedicate as much time as I would like to it. I have put your website in my favorites and will be reading back further in your entrys, as well as following you on your journey to write. Good Luck, Susan

Unknown said...

Re: I suspect most novelists avoid dealing with religion because it's one of most controversial subjects out there.

Or it's not relevant to the story.

Erudite Redneck said...

My guess is most novelists elave religion out of the words they create because they don't have, or see, religion in the world they live in.

SBB said...

Welcome Susan. Or I should say Susan2, since my friend Susan also comments anonymously. The more, the merrier!

Anonymous said...

I find you charming and funny too!!! I just have this husband and two kids now!!! :) (And I love them a lot!!!)
-Susan1