Sunday, September 12, 2004

     Dee pointed out to me that for a writer who writes mysteries and fantasy, I hardly ever mention either in this blog. I'll take care of that right now and will do better in the future.
     Recently I came across the website for Andre Norton. Ms. Norton has published an incredible number of fantasy and science fiction novels in a career that spans over 50 years. I remember quite well coming across her novels in the library and eagerly devouring them when I was a pre-teen (back in the Dark Ages).
     The Science Fiction Book Club has several of her novels in hardback. I've started buying them to add to my collection of Norton softcovers. I have about thirty of her books total, and I've barely started. Her imagination and work ethic were equally amazing. I don't know how she did it. Admittedly some of her books aren't great, but none of them are bad, and many of them are wonderful. Her Witch World® Novels are fan favorites. For starters, I recommend Forerunner Foray and Star Rangers.
     Even though her health isn't great now, she's still active in collaborations with other authors and occasionally a novel of her own. She was 91 this February. How's that for amazing?

© 2004. All rights reserved.

5 comments:

Gloria Williams said...

I hope I'll still be as active as this lady is when I'm 91! I'm not familiar with her work, but I will look for her novels now. Anyone who has been publishing for that long a time has to be talented.

Anonymous said...

I don't have 30 books by anyone! I might not have 30 books in the whole house! With two overly-active kids I'm lucky if I read a TV listing without being interrupted. But I'm not complaining. They're a blessing. I just keep telling myself that. :)
-Susan

Anonymous said...

Dude, nice page. CJ

Erudite Redneck said...

Now, who're you kidding? You were born, like, 30 or something. :-) Just kidding. Just coming up with something to say on a post about something I know nothing of. I don't "get" fiction, for the most part. My loss, I'm sure. ... I may force myself to take an M.A. in nineteenth-century American literature, just to straighten myself out ... :-)Dr. Erudite Redhead would kick my butt if I went for another master's! But what the hey? Ph.D's are a dime a dozen in history now, and I'm doin' this here sorter late-in-life extra schoolin' all fer fun mostly anyhow!

CrystalDiggory said...

What an inspiring lady! I wish I were that prolific now.