Tuesday, September 21, 2004

      I'm particularly proud of the flag picture below this entry. It's the flag outside my local post office. The other day, I noticed it and thought it would make a good picture. But that's not the reason I'm proud of the photo.
      Today, after reading Trixie's blog, I needed to go and take the photo. I had to step in the street and dodge traffic to get that shot of it hanging in that perfect blue sky.
      Better people than me have written about our flag and what it means. Freedom. Liberty. Pride. Courage. It holds all those things, but it also holds something else for me. That something else was why I needed to take the photo today.
      We are a flawed nation; I'll admit that. We fight among ourselves over race, sex, gender. We wrestle with a nationwide drug problem. We eat too much. We ignore the poor. We turn aside and put off problems and leave them for our children. We have corrupt politicians and corrupt police. We damage the environment in ways we can't even imagine ever being able to fix. We are not kind to those who are different.
      But.
      But we also try to do better. We work at it. We try to learn new things. We go to church, we serve in soup kitchens, we rise up to help hurricane and tornado victims. We risk our lives for people we don't know. We offer program after program to help addicts. We send our children to college and try to give them a better life than what we had. We vote out corruption, and brave officers battle it from within. We plant trees, buy dolphin-safe tuna and recycle everything we can. We walk in parades and hold out our hands and try to meet those who are different halfway.
      And when we fail, we learn from it. We get up and try again. Unlike other peoples and nations, we keep trying. We believe in solutions. We believe in peace. We believe in basic human rights. We're hard-headed in this because our hearts won't let us be any other way.
      We believe in freedom.
      That's a hard thing for a flag to carry. Hard for anything to carry. Probably it wouldn't be able, except for that something else it also embodies:
      Hope.
      Our flag means hope.
      It holds the promise of a better life.
      It's a visible symbol of a brighter future.
      A reminder of glorious possibilities.
That's why I wanted to take its picture today. To remind myself in this terrible world where the innocent are slain by cowardly monsters ... to remind myself, that there is still hope.
      Hope.
      And I tell you now that we will yet rise to greet a new wondrous world.

© 2004. All rights reserved.

7 comments:

Gloria Williams said...

This is so true. Hope is what this weary world needs. I needed to read this tonight after watching the news. Hope. We need more of it.

Erudite Redneck said...

Dude, you just did with words what the breeze does to that ol' flag: You lifted the image, and what it represents, in such a way as to raises spirts, and the very hope that we all long for. Excellent package, that flag picture you took and them inspirin' words you wrote.

CrystalDiggory said...

I continue to be impressed with your blog. From the excellent writing, to the great pictures, and to the wit and warmth found here. Tonight, as the rain continued to fall in Florida, I sat by the patio window reading your poetry and listening to the lovely background music you added with it. It was a lovely way to wind down. Thanks.

Trixie said...

Tech, thank you. Your post and the photo of the flag was like a spiritual ginger snap for me tonight. I didn't know I needed it until you offered it. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Very well done Tech, susan2

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Tech. This is exactly how I expected you to respond without knowing that I expected it. :) It's wonderfully written and moving!!!
-Susan1 (I should start a Susan club!)

Anonymous said...

Awesome, guy. My wife thought this was excellent and so do I.
-CJ