Wednesday, September 01, 2004

     A friend of mine who is a nurse sent this ghost story to me some time ago. I thought it was interesting, even if you don't believe in ghosts. What ghost stories do you know?
     I never saw the ghost nun, but here's the story. The hospital has been doing a lot of remodeling, and I was working one night on a floor that was scheduled to be next for renovations. We weren't taking new patients on our floor as we would be moving the next day. I only had to take care of three patients, but since they never leave anyone by themselves with patients, I had an aide working with me. She was an agency aide, not a regular employee of the hospital. Anyway, about 3 a.m. she went out to walk around the hall to try to stay awake. She came back a few minutes later, with all the color drained out of her face.
     She said, "Is anyone allowed in the stairway at the end of the hall?"
     I said, "No, it's a fire escape. If they open the door an alarm will go off."
     She didn't say anything for a minute and then she said, "I think I just saw a ghost."
     I said, "What?"
     And she said she had walked to the end of the hallway to the exit door. It has a little window in the corner of it. She turned to come back toward the nurses' station when she felt like someone was behind her. She was about ten feet from the end of the hall. She turned around and saw a nun's face through the little window of the exit door. It had no expression on it. She stared at it and thought she could see through it but wasn't sure if that was just a trick of the light on the glass. She decided not to find out and to come back to where I was instead.
     We went back down to see if it was still there, but of course, it was gone.
     Another hospital's cancer floor is haunted. One night I was standing in the hallway late at night doing some charting on the cancer floor. Before that hospital went to computers, they had little things that pulled down from the walls so we could chart on them. Anyway, I was charting, not thinking about spooky things at all, when I felt a cold chill come over me and the hairs on the back of my neck raise. I stopped what I was doing and went to the nurse's station.
     By the time I got there I was feeling a little foolish but I told one of the nurses about it and she nodded and said, "Were you standing across from Room 356?"
     I said yes, and that's when they started telling me about the angry young man who died there.
     About 10 or 15 years ago, a man in his twenties was diagnosed with cancer. He had just got married less than a month before his diagnosis. Some of the nurses that work there now took care of him and they're the ones who told me about him. They said he was extremely angry the whole, short time he was there and never got past that stage. He was angry he was going to die and had just got married and was so young and he talked a lot about how unfair it was. After his death, numerous sightings of him have been told. One of the nurses claimed she has seen him sitting in a chair in his old room on more than one occasion. Another one says she has seen wall fans being moved to point to the chair. I have no doubt something paranormal is happening there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite ghost story is supposed to have happened at Lake Tenkiller. Supposedly a girl went there with a guy after her parents had told her not to. They were drinking and he passed out. While she was swimming she developed a cramp or something and drowned. The guy woke up and couldn't find her. He saw her floating there and went into the water. Another car drove up and saw him pulling her dead body back to the shore when suddenly her hands grabbed him and drowned him too. Now they say if you drink beer on the lake at night you see her struggling in the water and calling out for someone to save her. When people dive in to save her they find nothing. They say if you see her hollow eyes you will drown soon too. I heard that at youth camp at Falls Creek many years ago. Still gives me a shiver.
-Susan