Monday, September 06, 2004

     I have been asked how I reconcile my religious beliefs with writing fantasy that has magic in it. The Bible plainly states that witchcraft is wrong, no ifs, ands or buts about it. "Do not suffer a witch to live ..." comes to mind. Aren't I encouraging people to try witchcraft? (The Harry Potter books received some of the same criticism.)
     First, I have a good grasp of reality. I know what I'm writing is a story. It's not true. I expect my readers to understand that. I've discovered that fantasy and science fiction readers are among the most skeptical people in the world.
     Second, my magic system isn't based on anything in this world. I deliberately left out such things as pentagrams and demons, etc. It's not a primer, in other words.
     Third, my novel is meant for adults. I expect adults to exercise wisdom and restraint.
     Fourth and most importantly, I don't base my beliefs on what I read. I don't base them on what other people believe. And the fact that other people believe differently than me doesn't rock my faith. I don't expect the fact I believe differently from them to rock theirs.
     Is this sort of a "live and let live" creed? Yes, it is. Don't get me wrong; I've got some definite ideas about evil and what will get people to God. (Hurting other people, for instance, is a flat-out sin. Loving each other is good. Don't gossip. Don't destroy anything that you couldn't create. Intelligence is a gift from God. Protect children; they're precious. Laughter is a gift that you should use. Be kind.)
     However, preaching against something is a sure-fire way to get it to spread. You just have to look at the early Christian church and see how persecution caused an explosion in its population to see this is true.
     I have a couple of friends that are witches. They're peaceful, funny folks. A bit too much tree hugging and nature worship, but overall, good solid people who are trying to make their way in the world as best they can. Do I think their faith is right? No, but they don't ask for my opinion. They know where I stand. I know where they stand. I can't see what use it would be to fight about it. I'm not going to be able to force them to change. They're not going to be able to force me. I pray for them; they pray for me. We get along. And really, I think that's the essence of learning to love your fellowman and woman. To accept their differences, to not be threatened by them, to live in peace. That's what God intended all along.
     Afternote: A friend read this and asked me how I could ignore the verses in the Bible that advocate stoning a witch.
     I asked her how she could ignore the verses in the Bible that say women should never cut their hair and that they should be silent in church. She said those verses don't apply now.
     And then I asked who gets to make the decisions about what does and doesn't apply now? Perhaps God really expects women to have long hair; maybe cutting it is a major sin. The thing is, we have to each work out our way to God. We have to work out what we really believe and what really is important.
     My friend said she'd have to think on it, but she'd never be friends with a witch. I said that would probably work out okay since I doubted they'd ever want to be friends with her, either. I think she was offended by that.

© 2004. All rights reserved.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Sending hugs your way. Tres impressed.

Trixie said...

Excellent! What I know for sure is that hate is spread by fear, and fear comes from the unknown. It's fueled by rigid beliefs that don't permit questions.
Remove the word "witch" and replace it with any other social or cultural group identifier -- and see what intolerance leads to. People who are fearful of really experiencing love can find all kinds of validation and reasons for treating others badly.
As for stoning a witch -- what tests determine whether someone is really a "witch" or a person with a vivid imagination? Look what happened to innocent people in Salem.

Erudite Redneck said...

One of the most difficult things is to NOT deify the Bible. I mean, a triune God is hard enough to grasp. Another thought is this: The Gospel is meant to liberate, not incarcerate. Further, the pre-Reformation Church wasn't so sure of itself, its own interpretations or the Scriptures themselves as to totally dismiss mysticism and magic out of hand. Parlor magicians have always been plain tricksters, but some early-modern church leaders allowed room to consider ideas that made them uncomfortable. See Cabalistic magic, which explored Hebrews' ten main names for God as well as the letters of the Hebrew alphabet for clues to the mysteries of Genesis. And, note that Luke mentions the magi (astrologers) who came to see the Christ child as a matter of fact, not as objects of derision.

Anonymous said...

I don't mean to be rude, but do you have any standards at all? Do you think homosexuals and witches will grace the Gates of Heaven? It's popular to say that you're for "tolerance" and "acceptance" but tolerance is just another name for sin and the same for acceptance. If you truly believe in Christ and His Teachings, you should right NOW pray through and start witnessing of His Awesome Power to turn homosexuals and witches into Born Again Christians.

Erudite Redneck said...

Short list of people in heaven: liars, cheaters, hypocrites, murderers, bearers of false witness, slanderers, worriers, and oh, a whole bunch of others who in desperation cry out for God's grace. That includes people who think they're witches but are blinded by the devil's lies, who get extra grace, and homosexuals who struggle but in the weakness of the flesh continue. A few who might make it by the skin of their teeth: the rich; the prideful; the haughty; those who defy God for the sake of themselves first; and those who think they really have a handle on The Truth when they probably ought to be on their face in God's presence crying out, "I don't know what to think, say or do, so I'll be quiet and still." God is sovereign. Not me or what I think.

Trixie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SBB said...

I was going to simply delete or ignore the anonymous comment, but a friend convinced that I should address it. So I will.

First, I didn't say anything about who gets to go through the "Gates of Heaven." It's not my place to make that decision; God has already taken that position. I wasn't aware He asked our anonymous commenter to help.

Second, if you, our commenter, disagree with tolerance and acceptance, may we assume that you are coming out in favor of intolerance and rejection? How curious that you would use the teaching of Christ, the most accepting of men, to support your position. Would Christ persecute people? Would He call them names? Would He beat them up? Would He look with approve on those who do? Would He throw the torch on a bonfire to burn a witch? Would He say that AIDS was God's judgment on homosexuals, even though children by the millions are born with it? What kind of Christ are you following? What type of monster have you made this Man of Love into?

I've grown tired of pious, over-religious people disapproving of tolerance as if intolerance has enlightened the world or made it a better place or brought one person through the Gates of Heaven. Do you think we can force people to the altar? Do you think that all you have to do is criticize and attack other faiths and lifestyles and they will fall to their knees and say, "You opened my eyes"? Does that work on anyone? Or do we need to use hot irons and the rack to force tortured prayers from their suffering lips? Would such an offering please a loving God?

Beneath those toss-off labels of homosexual and witch are real people. Precious people. People that need to be loved and cared for and shown a God that loves them. And you can talk until your tongue falls out, you can tell them that they're wrong and evil until the ground vomits up your words, you can beat them, tear them down, tie them to fences and leave them to die, but you'd better remember that in the end, you will be judged as harshly as you judged them. ("Judge not less ye be judged ...")

Witnessing of Christ is not the same as attacking other faiths and people, and I pity you if you think it is. Christianity is more than the tiny thing that you want it to be, an exclusive club that keeps out "those people." It's joy and power and infinite undying love. If all you see in it is harsh judgment, then you're missing the whole point of Jesus dying on the cross. And that truly is the saddest thing of all.

Gloria Williams said...

I never thought I'd say this, but I want to apologize. A few days ago, I would have seconded the anonymous commenter. I might have written it myself. A few hours ago I would have and felt justified.

But reading Tech's words, his sermon on the blog, I started crying. I have been blind and smug. I didn't think about the people behind my slurs. I've heard ministers in the pulpit talk of homosexuals burning in hell and how it was what they deserved. I nodded my head too many times when I should have been challenging blind hatred and prejudice. As a black woman who has struggled against prejudice my entire life, I should know better. I know better now.

I can't write as well as Tech, but I want him to know I'm saying amen and glory! Preach it, brother, preach it!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say amen too. And aren't there churches that believe being gay is fine? If there is no gender nor sex in heaven why would God care about the dangling parts here on earth? My brother is gay but don't tell me that he's not going to heaven. He's one of the kindest most spiritual men I know. I'm going to enjoy flying around heaven with him if I make it! :)
-Susan

Trixie said...

(reposting to correct unfortunate error)

I can't and wouldn't try to speak for Tech, but I'm glad you didn't want to be rude.
Do I expect to see homosexuals and "witches" in heaven? Yes, if they are in a restored relationship when they pass from this world. That's my belief system. But I know that their salvation will be based on THEIR decision to accept the gift of grace. That is between them and the Savior. It's not my decision and my action is not going to determine whether they make that choice.
I also remember that Jesus came to release us from the shackles of society's rules about right and wrong. He shattered conventional thinking. He ate with the great unwashed, not His "members only" club.
If Christ Himself ate with prostitutes and other outcasts, if He broke through every social convention of the day to be in relationship with the disenfranchised, then who are we to say who will and won't be extended grace?
Justice is getting what you deserve. Grace is getting not what you deserve, but what you need.