Saturday, March 08, 2008

Saturday sky & MBTA excerpt

      Look at that blue sky. Isn't it incredible?




      Notice the red bird in this photo? I wish I had a camera with a telephoto lens.



      Not much to tell you about my Saturday. I spent it in housework, writing, errands, and so on. I'm about to start my diet AGAIN. I've got to lose this weight, that's all there is to it. More on that as I make my decisions about how to approach that.
      So I guess I'll close. Here's an excerpt from Murder by the Acre. In it, the wife of one of the victims confronts her husband's mistress. It was a surprise to both the characters and me.

      Excerpt from Chapter Four of Murder by the Acre. This is in raw form and hasn't been edited and might not appear in the book. Copyright 2008. No copying in any form permitted.

       "How can you parade yourself in public like this?" Melissa Nelson said, her voice low and angry as she approached their table. Gill Armstrong hurried behind her. "My husband is dead, and it's your fault!"
      Janice stared at Melissa in horror.
      "I'm so sorry," she said.
      "Melissa, don't do this," Gill Armstrong said, trying to take her arm. She shook him off.
      "Danny and I had our problems," Melissa said. "But he was still the father of our son. And he deserved better, you slut!"
      "I didn't kill --"
      "Even if you didn't, he wouldn't have been out there if he hadn't been meeting you!" Melissa's voice rose.
      The waiters and the other restaurant patrons were staring at the scene. Lisa looked at Bernard who looked as shocked as she was.
      "And don't think you're going to get any of his money!" Melissa said. "Everything he has belongs to my son now, and don't you ever try to get any of it!"
      Bernard rose. Gill Armstrong glanced at him.
      "Mrs. Nelson, this isn't good," Bernard said. "Why don't you go back to your table? We're about to leave."
      Melissa ignored him. "So just get yourself a lawyer. See what good it'll do you!"
      "Janice doesn't want any money," Lisa spoke up. "She had already broke it off with your husband."
      The older woman glared at Lisa. "Really? That whore was supposed to meet him at that house. Gill heard him talking to her."
      "Janice?" Lisa looked at Janice who didn't meet her eyes.
      "She also called my lawyer and told him that Danny had promised to leave me and that Danny was paying her rent on her office," Melissa said. "She said they had an 'oral' contract. She threatened to sue the estate." She turned to Janice. "Let me tell you this: I'll kill you before you get a red cent! Do you hear me? I'll kill you!"

Copyright 2008. All rights reserved. No copying of any form without express written permission.

10 comments:

Trixie said...

Well, pal, the hair just stood up on the back of my neck! I love a good cat fight!

night-rider said...

Hey TECH. I fell out of love with blogs about a year ago and just stopped writing and looking. Tonight I thought I'd check in on you and I see you got MBDD published in my absence. Wow! congratulations. You worked hard for that and really deserve it. One day I'm sure we'll see you on the best seller lists - then you can retire from the boring job and buy a camera with a telephoto lens. Cheers from night-rider

Kirsten said...

Nice scene! Love the pacing.

SBB said...

Me, too, Trixie. Especially an unexpected one.

NIGHT-RIDER!!! How cool to see you! I still check your blog to see if you've posted. I hope things are going well for you.

Thanks, Kirsten.

Anonymous said...

Oh, it is a good cat fight! What happens next? What?

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you there, Tech. I've always had geek friends. :)

SBB said...

FF, I think you meant to post this on the previous post, but agreed.

Anonymous said...

I did, but Blogger burped and I thought it had eaten my comment. I guess it just sent it elsewhere!

Jean said...

I'll be they had an "oral" contract.

But this is a cozy, and that's probably as suggestive as you'll get.

Nice tension.

SBB said...

Burped? Is that a technical term, FF? :)

I decided to not draw attention to "oral" because it is a cozy, Jean. Although I've noticed this book is "sexy" than the first one. Or maybe that's just my mindset these days! Spring does that to me.