Thursday, June 14, 2007

Front & Back Cover (with an edit)

EDITED TO ADD: I made some minor changes to the back cover. What do you think? And here's some really exciting news! I am going to get my books from Holly Lisle sometime this month! And that should mean free books for you! Wahoo!

       Here they are. The front and back covers of Murder by Dewey Decimal. You wouldn't think they would have taken me as long as they did to create. Obviously I am not a graphic designer. But I think they turned out okay. The blank space at the bottom of the back cover is where the ISBN number and bar code will go. I won't have that until Lulu assigns me one. I'm nervous about all this, but I'm trying to give my baby the best I can.



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

the copy right symbol on the back cover shows up too close tot he word. nice and i like the blood drop thanks.

Roen

SBB said...

Thanks, and the trademark symbol has been moved to the proper place. Thank you for pointing that out. I'd like to think I'd catch it before I sent it to Lulu, but you never know!

Anonymous said...

I like it! :)

What program did you use to create the covers?

Rain said...

I love the covers! =0)

If I saw it in a bookstore it would definately catch my eye!

Unknown said...

Looks great!

Trixie said...

Cannot wait to get my hands on a copy! I've purposefully avoided the excerpts, not because I'm not interested, but because I want to read it cover-to-cover! Good luck Tech!!

Yikes -- just 13 minutes before the computer center closes here at the library!

SBB said...

FF, I used Photoshop Elements 3. It's not very friendly to text, but it does allow me to save the covers in the formats required by Lulu.

Thanks, Rain! And I mailed your prizes to you today.

Thanks, Kent! I appreciate your support.

Thanks, Trixie. I'm ready for you to have a copy, too! :)

Erudite Redneck said...

Looks good, dude!

Uh, I just judged a cover! Is that OK? ... Well, I didn't judge a book by its cover. ... I'm so confused!

:-)

I'll buy a copy and read it. I don't have the patience to read a book online, and excerpts are too frustrating.

SBB said...

Thanks, ER. And in this case, judging a cover is okay as long as you don't judge the book, too. At least, not until you read it.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I don't like the "flowery" addition. It just looks too feminine for a murder book, especially with a knife dripping blood at the top.

I like the idea of a separator, though. Just something a little more angular perhaps.

But, that's just my opinion. ;)

Unknown said...

I think having separation between the book info and the publishing info is a great idea. Not sure about what is there currently though. Maybe two intertwined roses, or just some shapes, or a small knife.

Anonymous said...

I like the flowers on the back. It is a "cozy" mystery after all.