Thursday, August 03, 2006

Very bad back

      Ouch. And truly there's not much else to say about it. Back injuries are a lot like broken hearts in that it just takes time for them to get better. I'm using pain pills, back exercises, heating pad and deep heating rub. Do you have a back remedy that works for you? Share!
      And the odds are good that you've experienced back problems before. According to the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research in their pamphlet "Clinical Practice Guideline, Acute Low Back Problems in Adults": "Eight out of ten adults will have a "low back problem at some time in their life. And most will have more than one episode of acute low back problems."
      Let's see what else the pamphlet has to say: "The human spine (or backbone) is made up of small bones called vertebrae. The vertebrae are stacked on top of each other to form a column. Between each vertebra is a cushion known as a disc. The vertebrae are held together by ligaments, and muscles are attached to the vertebrae by bands of tissue called tendons.
Openings in each vertebra line up to form a long hollow canal. The spinal cord runs through this canal from the base of the brain. Nerves from the spinal cord branch out and leave the spine through the spaces between the vertebrae.
      "The lower part of the back holds most of the body's weight. Even a minor problem with the bones, muscles, ligaments, or tendons in this area can cause pain when a person stand, bends, or moves around. Less often, a problem with a disc can pinch or irritate a nerve from the spinal cord, causing pain that runs down the leg, below the knee called sciatica.
      "Even with today's technology, the exact reason or cause of low back problems can be found in very few people. Most times, the symptoms are blamed on poor muscle tone in the back, muscle tension or spasm, back sprains, ligament or muscle tears, joint problems. Sometimes nerves from the spinal cord can be irritated by 'slipped' discs causing buttock or leg pain. This may also cause numbness, tingling, or weakness in the legs.
      "People who are in poor physical condition or do work that includes heavy labor or long periods of sitting or standing are at greater risk for low back problems. These people also get better more slowly. Emotional stress or long periods of inactivity may make back symptoms seem worse.
      "Low back problems are often painful. But the good news is that very few people turn out to have a major problem with the bones or joints or the back or a dangerous medical conditions."
      The pamphlet goes on to recommend rest, light activity, heat packs, OTC meds and time. Not much different than what I'm already doing.
      Anyway, I go back to work this morning so I've got to start getting ready to go. I dread the paperwork waiting for me, but hey, it beats digging a ditch. I think.

10 comments:

Michelle said...

I hope your back gets to getting better soon. Hot baths worked great for me when I had sciatica. Although, I had to keep changing positions in the tub cause ya just can't stay comportable for very long (much less get out of the tub very easy). But the heat radiating all around felt great. :)

Nowadays, I take advantage of the hot tub in our rec center. Steps to get in and out help a lot.

Linda said...

{{Hugs}}, Tech. I hope your back gets better soon, but I suspect it will take time. And I wanted to wish you a belated Happy Birthday!! :)

Linda

Erudite Redneck said...

Tech, you were a senior in high school, I think, when I first hurt my back bad, at school, running on the icy sidewalk in front of what is now the middle school (it was 7-12 then, y'all).

I lost control and landed with my chin on that metal railing thing and somehow twisted and hurt my back so bad I nearly fainted. It hurt for EVER. That was the winter of 1978-79, I think, the one when it snowed, like, every Wednesday for eight or nine weeks and we were out of school so much.

Shortly after that is when I started drinkin' in earnest, because it dulled the pain.

Rain said...

I hope you feel better soon!Perhaps a new mattress would help, it helped me.
Oh, nightly visits to the hot tub did not hurt either.
Have a good day at work.

SBB said...

FF, I think my job -- which consists mostly of sitting and working at a computer -- has a lot to do with my back pain.

My roomie was able to bring home an ultrasound machine the past couple of days to use on me. It has helped a lot. It gives me about two hours or so of relief from pain.

SBB said...

If I got into a tub, Michelle, I'm not sure if I could get out right now. But it does sound wonderful.

SBB said...

Thank you, Mama Rose. I appreciate the get well and the happy birthday wishes! :)

SBB said...

I don't remember you falling, ER, but we didn't really know each other in high school. You were just another guy that hung around with my sister! :) It's been nice that the years have allowed us to finally meet.

SBB said...

Rain, it probably is time for another mattress on my bed. I think that I will start trying to save for a new one.

A hot tub sounds wonderful. I need to get friendly with someone that owes one in my neck of the woods!

Anonymous said...

A few years ago i was hit by a car and injured my back this caused me so much pain it was ruining my life and then i tried one of those mattresses that mould to your body shape and adjust to your weight and i slept great for the first time in months and woke with no pain at all! You should try it!