Monday, August 28, 2006

On & on & on ...

      How about since I've been gone so much lately that we have a super long entry today? Does that sound good? Well, too bad; we're going to do it anyway. Pack a snack, and let's get to it.

Theater talk
      For the next couple of nights, I'll be attending auditions for the next play that the local theater group is performing in September. I'm mostly there to help a new director (new to the group, but she has a lot of theater experience) get oriented to our theater. I'll be helping her and also helping build the set, do the posters and programs, and just whatever is needed. Yes, I'll be calling folks to do things, FF. It won't just be me down there.
      We intend to build the set for the play in such a way so that it can be used for the next several plays. We'll just repaint and use different furniture, hang curtains over unneeded entrances and so on. This will cut down on the work involved as well as save us some money. At least, that's the plan.

Writing
      Over the next month, I'll be writing/re-writing Murder at the Witch's Cottage. I'm trying to increase the suspense, raise the laughter level, fix a couple of glaring plot holes, and generally polish it until it gleams. I hope.
      I'm also plotting my next National Novel Writing Month project. As you recall, that happens in November. NaNoWriMo is when thousands of people sign up to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. It was great fun last year. No, really it was. It was crazy and nerve-wracking and hard, but fun. Hmm. Perhaps I need to work on my definition of fun.

Broken things
      Saturday night I woke up to a hot house. The central air unit had broken again. We called the repair guys, and lo and behold, they actually came out that morning and fixed it. The unit is over 20 years old and needs to be replaced. I'm going to do that as soon as I win the lottery.
      My car is having problems, too. I've changed the plugs, put in a new oxygen sensor and changed the ignition coils. I've ran a pint of fuel injector cleaner through the tank. I replaced the spark plugs' hoods. (Don't ask.) It still is running rough and throwing strange computer codes. Unless I can figure something out over the next couple of days, it's going to have to go into the shop for work. Sigh. Which means I need to get my old car running again so that I have transportation while it's in the shop.
      I hate taking my car to a mechanic. Most of them don't seem to know what they doing, and they charge outrageous prices. Cars have become so complicated with electronics and computers that it's almost like voodoo to fix them. Maybe I just need to sprinkle some chicken blood on its engine ... maybe not.

Old TV shows
      This weekend, TV Land had a marathon of Daniel Boone episodes. I loved that show when I was a kid. Daniel Boone was the coolest even though he wore a dead animal on his head. But I wanted to be his Indian companion Mingo. Mingo was a revelation compared to other Indians on TV. He was educated at Oxford, shot and hunted better than most white men with a rifle and a bow, was funny, witty and intelligent, not to mention he swung a whip better than Indiana Jones ever thought about doing.

Snack break
      I have to get to the theater now. Eat your snack and I'll be back later.

Back
      Of course, now I'm wondering if the folks who read this earlier will come back to read this add-on. Well, if they don't, they will just miss out on all the blogging goodness that follows ...
      Remember my books Dragons Gather and Darkness, Oklahoma? I'm still working on them, although they have to take a back seat to Murder at the Witch's Cottage for the next couple of months. Anyway, I thought that maybe I'd share more of them with you. So ... just comment with the page number you'd like to read of one of those two, and I'll post those pages here.

Postcard interlude
      Frenzied Feline sent me this postcard. Cool, eh?


      My postcard collection goes back 30 years now. I was looking through it the other day and found a couple of cards from girls that I don't remember. I was looking at the signatures and wondering who they were and where they are now and what happened between us. Of course, they date from my college days when I fell and out of love weekly. I had all the maturity of a Styrofoam cup back then ... Now I've moved up to paper.

A Complaint
      I just finished reading yet another book that featured a vast conspiracy involving the Catholic Church and the Templars. Dan Brown has a lot to answer for as he inspired (if you can call it that) all these books that attempt to show how the church has keep the "truth" from us. What? Did these authors get scared in Sunday School? All these books attempt to show us some sort of shocking revelation, but they lack basic story-telling and only have their gimmick. I don't think any of they will be remembered in 20 years, much less 10. But I guess that applies to most books today. And after all, they did get published so what do I know? I'm just glad that I checked the book out from the library and didn't actually pay for it. I confess that I paid for my copy of The Da Vinci Code. I've been embarrassed about it ever since.

Rain
      We got some! Woohoo! We need more, but the rain finally fell in my town. I'm hoping for more over the next few days. The hurricane in the Gulf is supposed to generate some more. I hope the hurricane isn't bad for those folks down there, but I'm grateful for the rain here. My yard is mostly dirt now, but the trees appreciate it. And I know the animals do. The streams are mostly just dry now, but these rains will revive some of them.

A Victory!
      I paid off a credit card today! Finally, another debt gone. The next one will be paid off, God willing, in June of 2007. I still have a long way to go to pay off all my debts, but pardon me while I do a small victory dance. I'm making it. Slowly but surely.

A bit of Shakespeare
      And now we close with the end of the famous balcony scene.

From Romeo and Juliet

JULIET
Sweet, so would I:
Yet I should kill thee with much cherishing.
Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow,
That I shall say good night till it be morrow.

(Exits)

ROMEO
Sleep dwell upon thine eyes, peace in thy breast!
Would I were sleep and peace, so sweet to rest!
Hence will I to my ghostly father's cell,
His help to crave, and my dear hap to tell.

(Exits)

      I'm exiting for the night, too. Pleasant dreams and have a great tomorrow!

9 comments:

Erudite Redneck said...

Daniel Boone was a man -- was a BIG man. Indeed. One of my favorites, too. We watched three or four of 'em this weekend.

Unknown said...

You do know I took pics of you doing the victory dance. Blackmail material! Now give me back my stuffed pikachu :)

SBB said...

ER, I watched at least nine of them. The Williamsburg Cannon episodes have to be two of the best of the series.

SBB said...

Thank you, FF.

And your page is forthcoming.

SBB said...

Joel, just go ahead and post my victory dance on youtube.com. I don't care. Besides, my incredible moves will only prove once again what a stud I am ... :)

PIKACHU!!!!

SBB said...

FF, he says Pika, Pika, and then Pikachu! when he blasts someone with his lightning. I think. I'm not as up on my Pokemon as I should be.

SBB said...

I went to the Pokemon site and discovered that the yellow, furry thing -- No, I mean Pikachu, not Joel -- is quote as follows: "Pikachu also says 'Pika, Pika B,' and my favorite for attacks 'Pikachu.' Come on, say it with me ... 'Pikachu!'"

Trixie said...

Tech, there's a new support group for people who like to talk a lot. It's called "OnandOnandOnAnon." I'm not suggesting you join -- just post more often so you don't have such pent-up reports! Good to see you back to your Techy self.

SBB said...

Trixie! :)

I'll try to post daily from now on, but it wasn't because the posts were piled up -- it was because I wanted to reward my faithful readers for sticking around even when the posts were scarce!