Thursday, August 31, 2006

Roen's excerpt from Murder at the Witch's Cottage

      Roen requested page 10 from Murder at the Witch's Cottage. Because the scene is nearly 20 pages long, I can't include enough to make it stand on its own, although this includes a portion of page 11. Here's some info to orient you. Dora is a real estate agent and has brought a welcome plant to newcomers Brooke and Jake. Winifred is a neighbor as is Henry. Brooke and Jake have come to a cottage on the Atlantic Coast. Jake inherited it from his aunt Rowanna after she was found murdered, her head cut off. I think that's enough to help you find your way.
      This is the last day to request a page from my books or plays. Tomorrow I will share page 200 from Darkness, Oklahoma as per Randall's request. If you'd like me to share a page, pick one out in the comments.

From Murder at the Witch's Cottage

DORA
You must be Brooke. Welcome to our lovely community. I know you probably have plenty of things to do today, but I wanted to talk to you and husband soon about a business opportunity. Would you have any free time this afternoon or tomorrow morning?

WINIFRED
You could give them a few days to get situated before you start trying to sell this place out from under them.

HENRY
She has a point, Dora, besides the one on her nose.

DORA
(BRIGHTLY)
Now you two are going to give Jake and Brooke the wrong impression of me if you're not careful. And that would make me very unhappy.

(WINIFRED AND DORA MATCH GLARES. HENRY BOWS OUT AND SITS ON THE COUCH.)

(A CHILD'S LAUGH SOUNDS, BUT NO ONE EXCEPT BROOKE REACTS TO IT. BROOKE GASPS AND DROPS THE PLANT.)

BROOKE
It slipped. I'm sorry.

(WINIFRED GOES TO KITCHEN.)

WINIFRED
I'll get the broom, dear. Don't you worry about it a bit. Dora probably stole it from the cemetery.

(WINIFRED SMIRKS AT DORA AND EXITS INTO THE KITCHEN.)

JAKE
(TO BROOKE)
Are you okay?

BROOKE
(SHARPLY)
I'm fine.

DORA
Well, this is hardly the way I wanted to present it to you, but let me tell you that this cottage is sitting on very valuable land. Several developers are looking to build new housing in this area. If you would be interested -- and I think you would be after you see what they're offering -- I'd love to sit down with you and discuss it.

HENRY
Dora, isn't your husband one of those developers?

DORA
I hardly see why that's important.

HENRY
Isn't that one of those conflict of interest things?

(WINIFRED ENTERS WITH BROOM AND DUST PAN. WINIFRED AND BROOKE CLEAN UP THE PLANT DEBRIS.)

DORA
(STIFFLY)
If you're implying that I would not represent Jake and Brooke's best interests, you are sadly mistaken and perhaps need a call from my attorney. Besides, I've separated from Hal. We are divorcing.

WINIFRED
And you'd like to hit Hal where it hurts, wouldn't you? But aren't you jumping the broom here? Jake and Brooke might not want to sell.

JAKE
(TAKES CONTROL.)
That's something for Brooke and me to decide. Mrs. Dawn, I'll give you a call and set up an appointment.

DORA
Call me Dora. I'll look forward to your call.

WINIFRED
That makes one of you.

DORA
(GLARES AT WINIFRED.)
Henry, it was good to see you.

Copyright 2006. All rights reserved.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

ARGH! I don't read other folks MS. You're torturing me!

SBB said...

I know, Joel, I know. :)

Anonymous said...

Poor Joel, I love reading manuscripts. I love completed books more though! Thanks for the page and the background.
I will try even harder to get to see it all.
Roen

SBB said...

I hope you can, Roen. I think your whole family would enjoy it. It even has a code in it that leads to treasure! Shades of the Defenders! :)

Slim said...

This play sounds interesting. How do you find the time to write so much? I get tired just thinking about it!

Unknown said...

You are SO MEAN, 'sac!