Friday, January 13, 2006

Why I had to blog today

      Today I wasn't going to blog because I was feeling down about the troll yesterday. Yes, I know that I shouldn't let his/her opinion matter to me, and I know he/she isn't worth the time, but it happened, and it got me to thinking about how easy it is for us to be cruel to each other and wondering why that is so.
      Don't think that I'm going to go and on about how worthless humanity is, because I'm not. We're the best and brightest to come along so far, and we do some pretty amazing things. We also do some really stupid things. And I've been wondering lately how is that going to balance out. When will we tip the scale toward the light finally and permanently?
      Of course, a lot of people believe we won't get better. That eventually we will get so bad that the world will have to be destroyed in fire. They back this up with a lot of Biblical scholarship. And they're probably right. I certainly haven't studied the issue enough, but I think that it will be sad if that is so. I find many good things in this world; I'd hate to think of them fading into that long night. But that's me in a nutshell. I'm always hopeful, but I plan for the worst.
      Considering how hard this world is, how many burdens we all carry, you'd think we'd try to be kinder to each other, even to those who have opinions and lifestyles of which we disapprove. But we're not. We shout at each other, we blog terrible things about each other, we attack beliefs, faiths, lifestyles, politics, their very lives. And we give no quarter and take no prisoners. We smile when the other guys are hurt or humiliated. Because we know we're right, we don't feel pity. Just contempt.
      Are we so small? If that is all we are, then bring on the fire. Let it all be swept away. I'll strike the match.
      But.
      Then I think of other things.
      Like my babies, some of whom have grown up and are having babies of their own.
      Like my siblings, who have traveled this wild road with me so far.
      Like my friends, some of whom have known me for more than 30 years now, and we're still close.
      And you, my blogging buddies. Those folks whom I've never met in "real" life, but still care about me and are cared about by me.
      And all those people out there working to make the world a better place in hospitals, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, schools, homes, churches, small towns and large cities, all those keeping themselves above water and helping others stay afloat.
      And finally the God I serve, a God of hope, a God of joy, a God who enjoys a good joke and maybe a Dr Pepper every now and then between creating universes. A God that is my friend however unworthy I am.
      And so maybe this troll did a good thing because as I thought about those things, I realized I didn't feel sad after all.
      What I feel is, what I mean to say is that we are blessed. And it's still a pretty good world. So let's not have that fire just yet.
      That's what I wanted to say and why I had to blog today.
      So good night, pleasant dreams, and someday we will rise to greet a new, wondrous world.

25 comments:

Michelle said...

I knew He liked Dr Pepper. :)

TStockmann said...

Y'know - my take on the blogosphere is entirely different. The "amens!" and "wows" that seems to greet mindless screed or saccharine piety from friends and sympathizers outweighs any anonymous rudeness by several factors. God knows whether Jesus wept, but Socrates surely would.

SBB said...

He does, Michelle. Has to. He certainly doesn't like Pepsi. :)

SBB said...

I'm glad that you receive many "amens!" and "wows," Tstockmann. It must make the Net a pleasant place for you.

Slim said...

Don't forget the joy of having pseudo-intellectuals and bigots comment on your blog, Tech. Not to mention agnostic, angry, alternative cultural types like myself. Surely that's a reason to blog daily. :)

SBB said...

Hmm. "Pseudo-intellectuals," "bigots," and "angry, alternative cultural types." Well, my agent did tell me to seek my audience ... :) I just hope they're book-buyers.

What are you doing up so early, Slim? I thought you slept 'til noon every day. :)

Slim said...

I haven't been to bed yet, Tech. At least not to sleep! And I'm sure you don't want details. ;)

SBB said...

Yes, no details, please. :)

Slim said...

Chicken! :)

SBB said...

You have your own blog for details!

Trixie said...

Tech, this was a wonderful post and it starts my day out on a very positive footing. Thanks. I've got a breakfast meeting with friends this morning to do some planning for our singles group -- I'm going to tell them about this and I think it will help us all face a new year with a smile and hope. ((HUGS))

Trixie said...

Oh, and speaking of fire... I sure hope that's not what's happening right now. Pray for rain!

SBB said...

Thanks, Trixie. So far no smoke in the sky. We need rain desperately. This afternoon I'm going to go by a fundraiser to raise money for the fire department of a small community near my town. They've already exhausted their year's budget fighting grassfires. My town's FD is doing okay so far. They've only had to fight a handful of small fires, but naturally they're worried.

Gloria Williams said...

This was an excellent post, Tech. I appreciated it. It's a shame that many people lack the sensitivity and intelligence to respond to its message. Hope is a hard thing to sell these days. It's not cool. It's not sophisticated, but it beats the living hell out of smug cynicism.

Slim said...

Well said, Gloria! Or should I say AMEN! :)

I find Tech's take on life refreshing, but I'm still in college. We're all smug cynics here so Tech seems either charmingly outdated or daringly different. I haven't made my mind up as to which. :)

No, I have. Different and enjoyable. I'll buy your books as soon as they come out!

Michelle said...

He is both Slim. I think...

Charming is an understatment, Outdated...sadly so. And how awesome and strong of him to be daring enough to be different from the norm? I wish there were more Tech's in this world. Especially one that lived in Oregon. :P

Kitty said...

This post was just another example of why I read your blog. I always seem to get the "warm-fuzzies" when I visit your blog because of the way you write, and the way your express yourself, and the way that you have of finding a positive spin on everything. Your optimistic outlook is an inspiration to me and, I'm sure, many more of your readers as well.

Thank you for sharing with us!

SBB said...

Thank you, Gloria. I always appreciate your remarks. I'm glad to know you.

And I think you have hit the nail exactly.

SBB said...

Thanks, Slim. I think ... :)

SBB said...

Michelle, you'll turn my head with remarks like that! :) Thank you.

SBB said...

It's been a great 25 years so far, AmberClear. Let's for 75 more, shall we? :) Love ya!

SBB said...

KITTY! It's great to see you here. I always enjoy stopping by your blog and do so at least twice a week and usually more. And thank you for your kind words. I appreciate them.

SBB said...

Just moments, Randall?! I thought I was great all the time. :)

Thanks for your support. No, I mean it. :)

TStockmann said...

Amens on my neglected blog? Hah! Anyone who wanders in bored wanders out stupified, I'm sure.

But consider this: the easy joys of reciprocal piety and empty praise bear more than passing resemblance to thw quick pleasures of calories and credit card consumerism, which you are making a wise move beyond. The spirit is likewise susceptible to flabbiness and poverty.

SBB said...

You're too modest.

How does the parable go? "Matt 7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"