Wednesday, January 11, 2006

We Move In Darkness

We move in darkness
We know our way
around our bodies
where the touch
dissolves in sinsation,
where my/your breath
becomes our breath.
where we forget
what we've been told,
where our words fall
and moans shout

We untangle dreams
We know how
to gingerly do that,
to take what we need
while leaving enough,
to focus on ourselves
without losing sight,
to satiate without
extinguishing,
to fall into heavy night
and land to walk away

We know these things
We've learned the art
of giving only so much
that we are not taken,
of going only so far,
of keeping ourselves,
on safe ground,
careful to never lose
ourselves wholly,
of not going where
we couldn't return.

If only we could hurtle
into the empty night
our bodies ablaze
with glorious hunger,
our flesh melting
into one creature,
our dreams meshing
into one far-off city,
our mingled passion
bringing forth
light in the dark.

Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.

19 comments:

Trixie said...

This makes me wish I could whistle. WOW!

Michelle said...

If only.

Beautiful Tech.

SBB said...

I can't whistle either, Trixie. I don't know why. I've been told my lips are just right ... :)

Thanks for the WOW!

SBB said...

Thank you, Michelle. I always feel strange about posting my poems on the blog because they get few or no comments so I wonder if 1) anyone reads them and 2) if they like them when they do. But poetry is still a large part of my creative output, and some poems deserve a larger audience than just me.

CrystalDiggory said...

It is beautiful.

And, I haven't read a poem of yours yet that didn't deserve a larger audience of one.

Gloria Williams said...

Is it hot in here or it is just me? :)

Very sexy, Tech. I hope you're blushing!

SBB said...

Thank you and thank you, Crystal!

SBB said...

Gloria, thank you. And no, not blushing yet. Maybe a little red in the ears, but that could because of the cold temps today! :)

Slim said...

Have you been reading my journal, Tech? :)

Very good. Very dark and sensual. I like it.

Anonymous said...

Your a naughy Tech! I like that in a man!

Great poem!

SBB said...

No, Slim, I haven't read your journal. I don't think I'm old enough! :)

Thank you for the compliment on the poem.

SBB said...

Susan, trust me on this, men don't understand women! :)

Thanks for your nice words on the poem and the camping post!

SBB said...

Thanks for the compliment and for stopping by, Lois!

Slim said...

I think you have a dark side, Mr. Tech. Very interesting.

SBB said...

I've been told that, Slim, but I don't know why this poem in particular would inspire that comment.

I don't think I conceal anything about my nature, at least not intentionally, but I think that often we see what we want to see in people, and then when they do something that we think is out-of-character, we're surprised, even though they are acting like they really are. If that makes sense. Anyway, when people tell me that I have a "dark side," I always wish I could do that Darth Vader voice (James Earl Jones).

Erudite Redneck said...

I agree with Crystal.

CrystalDiggory said...

WOW! ER agrees with me on something? If I wasn't already sitting down, I'd have to sit down. ;)

night-rider said...

Is it stupid to comment on an old post? Regardless, I've just caught up with this poem and I'm almost speechless - it kind of knocked the breath out of me. The terrifying thought of really letting go and sailing into the cosmos -somehow it links passion, self-protection and the other-worldliness of your beloved fantasy/SF genre - this one deserves a large audience.

SBB said...

Thank you so much, Nightrider! I always enjoy hearing from you whenever it is! :)