Saturday, January 21, 2006

"Are They Shadows"

      I've mentioned before how much I love poetry. I picked up that love early and have never wavered from it. Over the next few months, I thought I'd share a few poems that have always spoke to me.
      We'll start out with one by Samuel Daniel. Born in 1562, he was the son of a music teacher. He was educated in Oxford, worked in Paris and Italy, and returned to England to become a successful court poet, writing verses for special occasions, and penning dramatic entertainments. He died in 1619 at his farm in Somerset, England.
      This poem was probably written around 1610 after Daniel was the guest of honor at a masque commissioned by Queen Anne. (A masque was, in the words of Wikipedia, "... a form of festive courtly entertainment. ... Masque involved music and dancing, singing and acting, within an elaborate stage design.") But the poem goes deeper than its surface subject, as all good poems do, and illuminates pleasures remembered. As typical with untitled poems, the first few words are given as the title now.

ARE THEY SHADOWS?
By Samuel Daniel

Are they shadows that we see?
And can shadows pleasure give?
Pleasures only shadows be
Cast by bodies we conceive
      And are made the things we deem
      In those figures which they seem.

But these pleasures vanish fast
Which by shadows are expressed;
Pleasures are not, if they last;
In their passing is their best.
      Glory is most bright and gay
      In a flash, and so away.

Feed apace then, greedy eyes,
On the wonder you behold;
Take it sudden as it flies,
Though you take it not to hold.
      When your eyes have done their part,
      Thought must length it in the heart.

5 comments:

Mark said...

I like that. It rhymes.

Michelle said...

Very beautiful.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Gayle said...

Thank you for that. It is beautiful and there is a lot of underlying meaning. Of course you know that, which is probably what you enjoy about poetry.

Gloria Williams said...

I'm not "into" poetry, but I do enjoy yours. I think that's because I can understand your poetry. It seems a lot of poetry is needlessly obscure. That's my unlearned opinion on it.

SBB said...

A lot of poetry is needlessly obscure, Gloria, but it's worthwhile to seek out the good stuff! :)