Saturday, August 06, 2005

Steamboy & other things

      My roomie and I watched Steamboy tonight. The animation was impressive, the story okay, but it needed to be about 15 minutes shorter. And that would have been easy to do. They just needed to cut some of the shots of machinery. There are dozens of scenes featuring huge machines, belching steam, moving huge gears and pistons and so on. No people in those scenes, just incredible looking machinery, but no matter how good the machinery looks, you can only see so much of it before your eyes glaze over.
      I'm also a bit unclear about the message. That science is corrupted by the military? That no dream is safe from human greed? That even good people can do bad things in pursuit of their goals? Watch it, and then we'll discuss.

      I had a fairly productive day. Didn't get as much done as I had planned, but that's always how it goes. Never enough hours in the day.
      I did make it to the gym today. My plan is to go at least three times a week, and so far, I've kept to that. The gym hasn't been very busy, but I've been told that it will pick up when the weather turns cold. Fall isn't that far away. How's that for a depressing thought? I prefer spring and summer as I've pointed out several times before.
      Otherwise, I did laundry, dusted, washed dishes, ran errands, posted a couple of times, took a few pictures that will probably show up here eventually and did a few other things.
      Trixie has launched her EBay store, selling very cool knives. Click here to check it out. I think this is an awesome move by Trixie, and I'm hoping she experiences a lot of success.
      Happy Writing has become Wry Words, a name change that Gloria and I hope will reflect more of what that blog is as it progresses.
      I hope you have a good day tomorrow. Good night!

3 comments:

Trixie said...

Thank you! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I liked Steamboy, but it did seem a litte long.

SBB said...

You're welcome, Trixie.

Yeah, Slim, that's exactly what I thought.