Saturday, August 20, 2005

The long haul

      I can't claim to have much wisdom. It's obvious that I make mistake after mistake in my personal, financial and spiritual life. However, I do know one thing: True loves stay with you for the long haul.
      It's easy to have that first rush of passion, that glorious feeling when your beloved can do nothing wrong, where every single thing that she/he does is perfect. So she peppers her speech with profanity? So he eats with his mouth open? So she cries enough to start a flood? So he wears clothing that the homeless would discard? None of that matters because she/he is so wonderful that all the imperfections blur in your beloved's glory.
      But let's give it a few months. Let's get to that point where you can't stand her cat, you can't tolerate his mother, you can't stomach another one of her wholly organic dinners, where you dream of holding a pillow over his face to smother his snores. That's the beginning of the long haul. If it's truly love, you'll make it past that. You'll learn to accept the faults, and hopefully your love will learn to accept yours.
      But then you discover your beloved has cancer. Or MS. Or a thousand other diseases that reduce their victims to unlovely wrecks. No quiet wistful dying as on TV, but a gut-wrenching battle for survival where you clean up vomit and bedpans and hold grimly on, where a single laugh is a hard-fought victory.
      That's the long haul. Some people make it through it. Some people don't.
      Friday, a middle-aged man came into my office wanting to talk about my company's product. As we talked, he told me that his wife was in a hospice. She'd been fighting cancer for a couple of years now. Because I have that kind of face and maybe because I was a total stranger, he started to share their battle for her survival. He told of long hours at the hospital, he told of struggling to care for her at home, he told of losing their house because they had no health insurance and he couldn't get help from the government agencies unless he was destitute. He had tears in his eyes as he talked. I gave him a box of tissues.
      And then he told me that the doctors said her cancer was terminal and that they said all they could do was help her die less painfully. But then he stopped for a long moment.
      "I don't believe it," he said. "She doesn't believe it." They chose to keep fighting. "I can't live without her," he said. "I know people think that after she's gone, I'll be able to go on with my life. What they don't understand is that she is my life."
      We finished our business. He didn't buy my product as our price was too high. He thanked me for listening. He shook my hand and left, going down the street to his truck, heading back to the hospice and his true love, returning to the long haul.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

That...my friend, is real love. Amazing how so few understand it or even if they do, can't step past themselves for a moment to give it.

I think these are the types of potential clients, in my own business, that I have the hardest time accepting not being able to help them. After he left, I would have excused myself to the bathroom, to cry.

Great post Tech.

SBB said...

Thank you both. Most of my posts I have to work on. This one seemed to say what I wanted to say from the first. That happens rarely enough that I appreciate it when it does.

Cancer is a cruel thing. I hope and pray his wife makes it. If her husband's love could cure, she'd be well today.

Unknown said...

I knew I found true love when someone insulted R. and I wanted to kill that person.

Gloria Williams said...

Beautifully written. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Erudite Redneck said...

I think the word "love" has been so caricaturized by hearts and flowers and cupids and such that it fails as a label for what you described here.

I think other, more muscle-ly words are better: Commitment. Dedication. Consistency. Sacrifice. Oneness. Self-emptying.

I mean, I "love" steak. Know what I mean? I'm "committed" to my wife.

I mean I love her, too! More than steak even!

Trixie said...

I've been weepy about this all weekend, for several reasons. First, just because it was so sweet and moving. Second, because it reminds me of Jim and Barbara, married 62 years, who have gone through just about everything life could throw at them, side by side.
And just about the time I can dry my eyes, I heard today that one of my favorite couples is going through a very, very difficult time that could create a split easily. This is one of those times when they will have to pull up everything inside of themselves to make it work. I only pray, for both of them, that they can find that atom of strength that will make the difference and hold them together.

Slim said...

Very touching and well-written, Tech. In the gay community, the number of partners who break up when discovering one of them has AIDS has been heart-breaking. But a few do stay together to the end. That is true love.

Monica said...

You gave him something better and longer lasting than a product. Great post. I found you by way of the Okie Blogs (which won't allow us Texans to vote in ) and I like your blog...good luck on the awards.

night-rider said...

Beautifully written. As always TECH, you seem to take our feelings and turn them into words. I've recently watched a young couple I know go through this same thing and have marvelled at the dedication and support that man gave her right to the end... as you say, through things that are simply too awful to contemplate. How wonderful it must be to inspire that kind of dedication in another human being and how rare to find the person that has the fortitude to see it through.