Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Important bits

      Another longtime blogger closed her blog the other day. Just a short note to say so long. Another mysterious disappearance on the web. Another person who walked away. And the comments from her readers are like the world has ended and on a weekend to boot.
      In this case, I know the blogger, and so I called her on that old-fashioned technology: the phone. She said she was tired of blogging. Wasn't fun any more. Had other things to do. I asked why she didn't explain a bit more since the commenters were assuming death and destruction. She said she meant to and then thought, I don't know any of these people. I don't owe them anything.
      Hmm. True, it's not like she got paid, but they did read her, they did give their time, they paid attention. Surely they deserved some consideration. She didn't think they did, and that was that.
      However you may feel about her attitude, it does point out something that I've noticed about the Net: the lack of depth in the interactions. People move in and out. You chat a bit, exchange a few emails, and then they're gone. It's best to not get too attached because they're just pixels on a screen. Turn off your monitor, and you don't see them anymore.
      In this blog, I'm trying to reach for more than that. I want to know my commenters. I want to be their friend and want them to be mine. If we wind up being too different for that, okay, but I want to try. I know several of my commenters in the real world -- ER, Crystal Diggory, Randall, Susan1 and CJ. I think I know Powersleeper and Gloria, and ER knows Trixie and of course Three&Eight. Why is this important?
      Because if you disappear for whatever reason, you should know someone is going to miss you. Someone wants to know why, wants to know what prayers he should be saying. You may just be pixels, bits on the information stream, but you're important bits.
      You're important: Crystal, ER, Joel, Randall, Susan1, Gloria, CJ, Trixie, Susan2, Frenzied, Powersleeper, Night-Rider, and Three&Eight. That's all I wanted to say.
      That's all. Good night.

9 comments:

Trixie said...

Tech, this was perhaps the most important thing I've read all day. I agree with you so much... I was just on my way to blog about something similar and here you've touched on the same topic.

Seems to me that we all know we're spiritual beings, not just flesh-and-blood critters. I think we can use any number of media to reach out to people who become our friends. Most of us have never seen each other, with a few exceptions. Probably none of us has seen all of the others you've mentioned. I've known Frenzied -- in the cyber sense -- for a couple of years on various message boards. We've never met in real life but she's definitely a friend of mine, as are you and the others I've "met" in Blogland.

Now that ER dragged me into this circle, I feel deprived if I don't have time to write and I feel even worse than deprived if I don't get the chance to read everyone's blogs every day. I'm compelled to see how everyone's doing -- what is holding their attention today, what makes them happy or sad.

So thanks for the post. You're important to all of us too.

Oh great-- now I have an earwig -- "Will the Circle Be Unbroken?" I hope not. I don't want people disappearing without explanation.

night-rider said...

What can I add except ditto to you and the others who commented. I've only just met you'all (or a couple of you anyway) but I feel the same way about friends in blogland - you are definitely not just pixels on a screen to me!

Unknown said...

Well, of course I'm important: I'm ME ;-)

Kidding aside, you made a valid point about commitment. People ARE taking time aside to read one's post. Long-time penpals (do they still exist?)have known this for years.

But the longtime blogger's has a point, too. IMO, one of the probs with blogging is, despite what people say, there's a tremendous amount of censorship in the posts. Details that even penpals write about--such as jobs--are usually absent due to fear the workplace will discover the blog. (And rightly so due to the nature of the Internet.) Thus, the difficulty in knowing someone as she stated.

And going back to the commitment for a moment....

There can also be TOO much obligation. I've read plenty of articles of folks stressing what to post due to folks expectations. One guy wrote that he reached the point where people were asking if he was sick if he missed a day.

Hmmm. Now that I think about it, I liken the Internet and its blogs like reading biographies. Yes, I get a picture of that person at the time it was written but not that PERSON the way one does interacting face to face or instantaneously interactive mediums as the telephone or even instant-messaging.

And the most telling point: I can always put the biography away. ;-(

Anonymous said...

Good thought I think the internet does allow us to remain to anonymous. Of course our lives have crossed paths to long to ever forget at this point.
Randall

Anonymous said...

You're tres important to us too!!! Don't you ever disappear. We'd be puppy dog sad.
-Susan 1

Trixie said...

Joel, we cannot be put away because we do not fold easily. Might as well leave us unpacked and enjoy us, huh? ;)

Gloria Williams said...

Tech, you're important. I can't tell the number of times you've touched my heart. I enjoy all the photos, riddles, writings, comments, and funny stuff. I look forward to reading it. I must say I check it 3 or 4 times a day to see what everyone is saying! Seriously, every one of you have blessed me. Thank you.

(Trixie, I love your last comment. LOL)

SBB said...

All of your great comments is just another reason you're important to me!

Anonymous said...

Tech, ditto what everyone else said, and Thanks. I haven't been reading very long and I don't feel very important a lot of times, but I consider you guys as friends, even if I don't know you personally. I always read you first and use your list to check everyone else's blogs. It's strange, but I feel that you guys are an integral part of my life now, I don't know why or how, but I keep reading and enjoying. Take care, susan2