Wednesday, October 20, 2004

And isn't this
And isn't this how it goes --
you love what doesn't love you
and are loved by what you don't love
you twist on a rope of your making
and dare anyone to cut you free
while your feet dangle aimlessly

Near your tree stands a crowd
familiar faces who repeat the what ifs
and if onlys and nod their wise heads
as they lie in their inactivity
because none can change unless they want
to and you don't and it's your fate

Never admitting they leave you to it
because why shouldn't you be nothing
and your hopes be as meaningless
as a piece of ash in the uncaring wind
why should your life be any different
from the graves they chose an eon ago

What I wouldn't give to see
you raise your head, slip up a hand,
set yourself free, free, free
drop to the ground and walk out
of this dirtwater town, seeking
the better you have always deserved.

(For J.B.)

© 2004. All rights reserved.

5 comments:

jeannie diane said...

Very well done, I really liked it.
Is your sister married to my cousin?
Let me know.

Anonymous said...

Oooo I liked this one!
-Susan1

Anonymous said...

It hurts to read this, well written though.
Randall

SBB said...

Thank you all.

Jeanne, I don't know. Is your cousin R.M. or P.O.? Those are the initials of my in-laws.

night-rider said...

Sad. I think I was singing a similar song this morning.