Saturday, August 28, 2004

     I thought I was going to blog about my Friday night and the odd events that somehow tangled themselves around me. But as it turns out, I need to think about it more, and things continue to unfold. I need to see how things play out before I draw any conclusions. Vague enough?
     Instead I thought I would give a brief book review of Let's Go to The Tackle Store and Fondle the Plugs by JoAnn Phillips, published by New Forums Press. I chanced on this book at my library. Every time I go, I try to get at least one or two books on subjects I don't know much about. Basically I wander the stacks and then grab a title that looks interesting. It's random, and most times I end up with something I don't care for, but I have also gained a few keepers over the years.
     This book revolves around fishing. Think of it as a blog with bass. JoAnn and her husband Boyd traveled all over Oklahoma and the rest of the United States to fish. They also ventured to Mexico and Canada. Some of the stories are interesting, some sad, some funny. The short chapters don't tire you, and she has a good eye for landscape. You gain a sense of her life and how she approached it with a true zest for adventure. I'm not a big fishing fan (I get bored easy) but this book showed me that I've missed a few things about it. I thought it worth the hour and a half it took to read.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Details make any subject interesting.