Sunday, August 29, 2004

     Just finished reading Rock This by Chris Rock. It's funny with some great riffs on racism and relationships. The language is rough, though, and Rock presents the swearing as being the way black people actually talk. I was curious about this since I know several black people, and none of them swear much -- at least around me. So I emailed my friend C.J. and asked him about it. I got a quick, sharp reply that I asked and received permission to share with you. Take the floor, C.J.

Urban black comedians make the mistake of thinking they speak for black people everywhere. They do not. They don't come close. The majority of black men don't cheat on their wives, don't call their girlfriend "bitch" or "ho," don't call each other "nigger," don't take crack, don't live on welfare, and don't think it's funny when other black men do. It's a shame that they get TV time and that's the only black faces that America sees.

I and my friends have jobs. We have wives and children. We go to church. We might swear when we're angry, but we don't do in front of the women we love. We don't dis our mothers. We might have a beer or two watching the Lakers, but we don't take drugs and don't want that crap around our kids. We like sports. We like fishing. We like hunting. We love our kids. We haven't been in jail. We don't beat up our wives or girlfriends or kids to prove our manhood. We don't hate white people just because they're white. You can find jerks in any skin color, white, black, red, yellow, striped. We're your friend when you're our friend. The only true story about blacks is we're better lovers. Just kidding. No, we are. :)

When Chris Rock or Martin Lawrence or any of the other self-called kings of comedy use foul language, they're trying to show they're just like every other black man -- or at least what they think a normal black man is -- except they make millions for their off-color humor. Do I think Chris Rock is funny? Yes. Do I think Martin Lawrence is funny? Yes. Do I think they could clean up their language and be just as funny? Yes. Do I think they should live better lives because they influence our children whether they want to or not? Yes. But black comedians aren't the only ones who need their mouths popped. White, Latino and other comedians should understand the F-word isn't funny or shocking now. We're heard it. We've said it. Move on and try to do something original for a change. Hey, why not be funny?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I've had co-workers who are black. They're graduates from major colleges (one's from MIT). They didn't swear in front of my presence, were perfect gentlemen to their (beautiful) girlfriends, and we'd talk about computers and our houses.

I've long known the folks on TV don't reflect a populace in general. For every Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence you've got Bill Cosby and Will Smith.

Gloria Williams said...

Perhaps it's wrong of me, but I have always associated excessive use of foul language as a sign of low intelligence. I don't like to hear it, and I don't like to read it. I hear authors say that they're just being realistic to the way people talk, but I only know a handful that swear. The majority do not.

Erudite Redneck said...

Gloria: Use of profanity is most definitely not a sign of low intelligence, or a limited vocabulary. It's a habit like any other. I've battled it myself since I was in grade school.
Tech: Tell your friend, Amen. All differences in American culture are highlighted and exaggerated in the media, usually for laughs. In my own case, Foxworthy is funny because he seems to be a genuine Southerner, albeit a suburban Atlantan, who got some lucky breaks. Let a damnyankee urbanite try the same jokes and it would be fightin' words.

Gloria Williams said...

ThePress: Perhaps I should have stated more accurately that I think people who swear excessively sound like they have low intelligence and are lower class. I'm not the only one to hold that opinion: Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, George Bernard Shaw, Jefferson Davis, Billy Graham, President Jimmy Carter, John Wayne, Bill Cosby and many others have expressed just such an opinion. (And that's just a small sampling of the quotes about swearing found online.)

TECH: I'm curious about one thing. You imply that you didn't like the swearing, but you still say the book is funny. By such a review, aren't you encouraging people to read it anyway?

CJ: Thank you for allowing TECH to post your email. I found it insightful and intelligent. As a black woman, I find comments like yours encouraging. Too bad you're married. :)

Anonymous said...

When people swear a lot, the swear words start to lose their power. Overuse wears anything out. Something I'm trying to convince my husband of. You can take that any way your naughty little minds want to! :)
-Susan

SBB said...

Gloria, I try to consider the message as much as I look at the language. Sometimes a book's language, style and descriptions drown the message. If I hadn't found some of Rock's comments funny, I wouldn't have mentioned it. I try to not throw out the baby with the bath water. :)

Susan, I think what you've said is very true. Overuse does dilute a swear word's power to shock/thrill/express emotion in speaking or writing. (I refuse to consider what you might be discussing with your husband! :) )

Erudite Redneck said...

Damned if this hadn't been enlightening.

SBB said...

Ha! :)