Monday, March 03, 2008

Real writing

      Murder by the Acre is shaping up nicely. The words are flowing again. Ryton is a little world, and I'm walking around in it and recording what's happening. I know that sounds weird, but that's how it feels, despite the fact I'm actually creating that little world.
      For instance tonight, I wrote other thousand words. I didn't expect to, but this new scene came along and kept my interest. I wanted to see what happened. This scene isn't in the outline I use or was anything I had thought about before other than a vague thought that Lisa and Bernard should have dinner with one of the suspects, the mistress of the murdered man. That's all I thought was going to happen, but then into the restaurant stepped the murdered man's wife and her maybe boyfriend, both suspects, too. Naturally the wife hates the mistress. An explosive combination. The scene isn't over, but I'm very curious about what's going to happen. When this happens -- when I feel like a reporter watching real events taking place -- I feel like a "real" writer.
      I realize that writing and MBTA seem to be only topics on my blog lately. Sorry, but that's what's occupying my attention. And will continue to for the time being, but I'll try to find a few things to keep the attention of those not writerly inclined.
      By the way, yesterday we had tornadoes in Oklahoma, then torrential rains, and today snow. If an earthquake happens tomorrow, I'm leaving the state.
      Anyway, I'm going to bed now. I had a bad day at work today, one of those days that motivate me to work on my writing so that someday it will let me leave there. Anyway, I'm going to call it a night and go to bed with a good book. Hope you have a great day tomorrow!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't all your other books get jealouse when you got to bed with just one?
Roen

Anonymous said...

I've always thought of you as a "real" writer for the same reason you feel like one, give or take a word or two. When I feel like I'm watching a movie in my mind while I'm reading, and I'm sad that it's over (and can't wait for the sequel), that's as real as it gets! :)

Unknown said...

Good job, I look forward to reading MBTA later in the year.

SBB said...

No, Roen, they're actually quite supportive. :)

Thank you, FF. That's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said about my writing.

Thank you, Kent. I look forward to you reading it.