Sunday, June 24, 2007

We have a book in the oven!

       Below is the final cover (except to the ISBN number and bar code, which hasn't been assigned to the book yet) for Murder by Dewey Decimal. I transmitted the book to Lulu today. Woohoo! In about two weeks, I'll have a printed proof copy. If everything looks good, I will approve it, and a book will be born.
      The uploading process to Lulu took most of yesterday and today. It wasn't the simple process that they make it out to be on the website. Nowhere close to simple. I will know better how to do it next time. I'll write a post later telling what I learned about the process should any of you want to attempt it. (One tip: Think very hard about whether you want the trouble of creating your own cover. Lulu has many good looking covers you can use, and it's a lot easier than using one of your own.) We'll see if all the effort was worth it when I have the proof copy in hand.
      I feel very relieved. And excited. I'm going to be looking eagerly for the mail for the next couple of weeks.
      How have you been doing? What exciting things are going on in your world? I hope you have a great day tomorrow. Next week we'll be posting photos of my lovely niece at her prom and photos of Mikey's new baby brother Jay as well as photos of Mikey himself.
      My plan for this coming week is to publish two family newsletters (Hey, it's possible if unlikely) and get them mailed out. I'll also be reading Darkness, Oklahoma to start getting some wordage on it.
      My secretary is still doing well. I'm hoping she will continue to improve and will eventually be able to do many of the things I'm doing now. I have several work projects that I'd like to get started on, but I haven't been able to.
      And now I'm going to figure out some diabetic acceptable way to celebrate uploading the book. Good night!


 

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the book! Let me know when it's ready, and I'll go to Lulu and order a copy.

SBB said...

You can be sure I will, Kent. Thanks for the support.

Anonymous said...

great! I am sure it will be worth it and I want a copy tell me where!
Roen

SBB said...

I hope it will be, Roen. And trust me, I'll let you know when it's ready!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Tech! I'm excited for you. I can't wait to read the book!

SBB said...

Thank you, Gloria. I can't wait until you read it! :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you Tech! Thats cool!

SBB said...

Thanks, Slim. It was exciting to finally have it at the publisher after all the work on it. Now I have to start work on getting Murder by the Acre ready to go!

Anonymous said...

OOH is this a teaser!!!
Roen

SBB said...

No, I'm not a tease, Roen. I don't care what the girls say ... :)

Anonymous said...

It has been fun being a proofreader. Around my house the math nerds rule, so something more in line with my interests has been enjoyable.

Just today I picked up a discrepancy in the book I'm now reading. I seem to have seen more boo-boos since the PC revolution. Too much dependence on spell check, I guess. :)

Jean said...

Congrats to Mikey and his new brother.

Congrats to you on getting the upload done. I hope the print version is exactly what you expect.

Erudite Redneck said...

Proud of ya, dude.

SBB said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it, FF. I suspect someone will be asking you to do more! :)

SBB said...

Thanks, Jean. Mikey likes his new brother, which is a relief.

SBB said...

Thanks, ER!

Anonymous said...

I think the book is realy good and definitely worth buying. I have been recommending it to people I know that enjoy mysteries or that just enjoy reading. I like the cover. It came out nice.

Papa E

SBB said...

Thanks, P.E. I appreciate the support a lot.