Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Thud

      That's the sound of my head hitting my desk. It's been that long a day. I hope I get some rest tonight. I've been fighting a stupid summer cold, and it's draining all my energy. I really needed to get to the gym tonight, but couldn't bestir myself to go. And tomorrow promises to be just another such day. My desk is loaded with mind-numbing and soul destroying paperwork. Sigh. When is my ship going to come in? Or am I going to have to row out there, board the blamed thing, toss its crew overboard, and sail that sucker in the harbor myself? Probably.
      I finally had enough money to order Talyn by Holly Lisle. It's a hardcover, and I've been so broke that I couldn't spring for it. But today I got it ordered from Amazon. I hope it comes in soon. I can't afford the Next Day shipping or the Two Day shipping. I have the free It-will-get-there-some-time-before-you-die shipping. Apparently it's being delivered by a pack hamster. With a limp. But it's nice to know it's on its way.
      Hey, I think we need some good news. As you know, I've been working on a debt reduction plan for the past several months. Well, this month, I paid off my first credit card! I've been waiting to announce it until they send me a statement with the zero balance, but why wait to share? I appreciate all your support. The next payoff will take pace in August of next year. Slowly but surely, I'm heading for debt free land. Hope to see you there.
      I'm going to call it a night now. Y'all take care, and catch you tomorrow.

11 comments:

Michelle said...

LOL...I understand the paperwork. I have my piles, organized, somewhat neatly, upon my desk. Each day I come home and tell myself that I am going to reach the bottom of said piles tomorrow...somehow...they just keep getting bigger.

I can say, from experience, that it is an amazing feeling when you can look at that credit card and not see the weight it holds, right before you cut it up and throw it in the garbage. It truly is just a piece of plastic and not my next 3 years of salary.

Congrats on the debt reduction, take care of your health, and Sailing? is so much fun.

Trixie said...

Oh how wonderful! HUGE congrats to you paying off the first bill! This calls for a celebration (pardon me while I step back to do the happy dance for you...)

Yeah, that ol' ship, I think we all have to go swimming after it. The pirates have taken over. ARRRRR!

Keep a happy, debt-reducing smile on your face, OK? It'll make people wonder.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your book-- it sounds like you've earned a little recreation.

I've only taken a cursory glance of your blog, but it's excellent.

Continue.

IDK said...

Good post. I enjoyed it. I too feel for your financial burden. I have three credit cards but settled two already. One more to go. Took me four years but better late than never. Just don't neglect your health (mental and physical) while you're at it.

Linda said...

Talyn is an amazing book. It's well worth the money and the wait.

That said, as a writer who probably reads a lot, you should get B&N's discount card and use their online site. Price check your stuff. Often, it's cheaper than Amazon. Their free shipping is 3-day shipping. My stuff gets here way faster than through Amazon and they don't have as much stuff that's not included in the free shipping offer.

Unknown said...

Congrats on the card. And let us know how Talyn reads. Holly writes it in an unusual style.

Jean said...

Congratulations on your significant debt reduction effort. Doesn't that feel great?

You're gonna love Talyn.

"Getting Things Done" by David Allen. I'm writing a review for Vision on it (hoping to gear it to fiction writers), but I'm in the process of implementing his process (having lunch with him tomorrow--he's lecturing to our student body), and it's going well.

Erudite Redneck said...

You should have a note-burnin' ceremony for that card!

SBB said...

Press, that's a good idea! I think I will do that.

Michelle, watch out for those papercuts. I got one today. Ouch.

A debt reducing smile, Trixie? I'll have to work on that. Unfortunately I think it will just make people nervous. They'll wonder what I'm blowing up now!

Thanks Romantic and Manannan for the compliments and for stopping by Harbor Street. You're always welcome to drop in and jaw a spell.

FF, you're funny ... sort of. :) Thank you for the congrats.

Thanks, Mama Rose! Your recipes make me so hungry when I read your blog.

Joel and Jean, we'll have to have a discussion about Talyn when I finally get to read it. I wish it would come tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anonymous said...

Once each month,I just scrape all the piles into the trash; certain in the knowledge that if anything of great importance was disposed of, someone will call.

Gloria Williams said...

Wow! You already paid off one credit card! You're on your way, TECH! Congratulations!