Thursday, August 25, 2005

Paper

      Whew! What a day at work. Busy without much chance to take a break. I'm hoping tomorrow will be calmer. I'd like to reduce that pile of paperwork on my desk. It's amazing how much paper we generate. I remember when magazines and business pundits said the era of the "paperless office" was upon us. You don't hear much about that anymore. It went the way of the idea of having a federal balanced budget.
      Paper continues to be ever present. In fact, it seems we generate more paper every day. Eventually we will be buried under reports and forms. But we're a hardy race. We'll dig tunnels through the paper and learn how to digest cellulose and ink. We'll ride giant bookworms and battle ravenous silverfish … Oookay, I probably need to get some rest.
      I have a busy weekend planned: housework, publishing the family newsletter, catching up on my budget, going to the gym, attending a play, writing, writing, writing, etc. As always, I probably won't get it all done, but it's a plan. Oh, I need to go to the library, too. I'm trying to cut down on my overdue fines. I hope they budget for that. I’d hate to think some aide would lose her job because I was timely.
      I received an email saying they had shipped Talyn. I've read a few reviews about it, but have tried to stay away from spoilers. I like to approach a book fresh. One review mentioned that author Holly Lisle switched from first person to third person throughout the book. I've toyed with that with Dragons Gather (my fantasy novel) but I haven't committed to it. I'm curious to see how she handles it.
      Time for bed. I've been sleeping strange the past few days, probably because of the cold and the meds I'm taken for it. Odd dreams wander through my night. I'd like to have a good night's rest. And maybe tonight I'll get one.
      Good night!

7 comments:

Mark said...

I've often said I would love to be the guy that sells some companies their paper.

SBB said...

Yeah! Particularly if you make commission on it.

Anonymous said...

I attended the showing of Enron, the smartest guys in the room, yesterday evening at the OKCMOA. I don't recall the number of tons of paper that was shredded during the final days by Arthur Anderson and Enron, but it was tons; tons! Excellent movie. I think it will be shown through the weekend.

Unknown said...

As a technical writer, I laughed when I read about the so-called "paperless office". Same with e-books to replace paperbacks. Uh, HELLO. Why fix what's not broken?

Gloria Williams said...

The government agency I work for has been attempting to scan all our old paperwork into data files for the past several years. We still have to have a huge warehouse to store all the case files.

Slim said...

I can't see an office ever being without paper. It's just too convenient and cheap.

Michelle said...

I didn't have a comment in particular. I just wanted to enter the word verification of "jrnox".

Simple pleasures.