Friday, August 05, 2005

Harder than it looks

      I tried to "Photoshop" the picture of the orange flowers posted below. I have Photoshop Elements 2, and according to the box, anyone can "easily fix flaws" in any photo. There was an ugly brown leaf showing in the photo so I thought I'd cover it up. Surely it would only take a minute or two. Cue mad quivering laughter.
      An hour later, I gave up. I fiddled with the photo, cloned things, changed colors, moved parts of it, cropped parts of it, made layers, flatten layers, etc, but basically I couldn't make it look any better than it did. You can see a flower floating at the top of the picture. I did that with the clone tool. It looks like I did, too.
      There's skill involved in making those cool digitally altered photos. I don't have it. It was fun to play with Elements, but I can't see me ever using it in a serious fashion. Maybe I'll feel differently the more I play with it. Maybe I'll be able to improve on nature. But for right now, I think we'll just let God do the flower designing.

5 comments:

Trixie said...

I applaud you for stretching into a new creative area and at least giving it a try. The most I've done as far as altering photos is messing with Gumby's expressions in Paint, and erasing an inappropriate billboard that appeared between two statues in a photo.

Linda said...

LOL!! It takes practice. If you want to learn, Peachpit Press has great teach yourself books. Adobe also puts out a series of "classroom" books that takes you step-by-step through how to use their software. Then, you just practice. Next time you're in FM chat with me, take a look at my avatar. It was done with three photos I'd taken. I scanned the negatives into the computer and then used Photoshop 5.5 to create the image. I was taking a class in digital imaging, which was basically how to use photography and photoshop to create digital art.

CrystalDiggory said...

My son's been wanting to learn how to do animation on the computer, but this stuff is definitely not up my alley. I get confused if I try to do anything more complicated than check my e-mail. Does anyone have any suggestions for him?

night-rider said...

Well I guess I don't have the eye either TECH because I can't tell which is the digitally-added flower! I love your bright flower photos just as they are - however you do them - because they are so vibrant.

SBB said...

Thank you, guys. It's been fun to play with Photoshop.

Trixie, I loved the Gumby photos and his expression.

Thanks, Mama, I'll check it out.

Sorry, Crystal, I don't much about animation programs. Maybe someone else will.

Thanks, Nightrider. It's the flower at the top center. If you click on the photo, it will show you the larger size, and it's easier to see.