Friday, October 08, 2004

First person problem

      In writing my fantasy novel, I chose to write in first person. All my other books had been written in third person. I thought I would try it out and see how it worked. If it didn't, I could always convert to third. That was 75,000 words ago. And I have to say that while in some ways it has been liberating, in others it's been so confining that it's been a great big pain in the hiney.
      Liberating in that I know Stefean Ka'Nikilos well. His cynical view of the world, his humor, his pain, they flowed freely. For all his self-involvement and emotional blindness, I like him. It's been easy to give him a voice.
      But right now, being so totally into his head is smothering me. It would be easier if I could open the world up, show other people's points of view, and give some insight to the villain. And not to mention that I could get my needed word count much easier.
      But by keeping my reader's focus tightly through Stefean's eyes, I think it makes the fantasy world more believable. He accepts and believes his world without a second thought. I hope he carries my readers along so that they accept his world of circus Folk, mages, mind witches, wild tribes of elves, civilized and savage orcs, and many more weird and wonderful things.
      Whether or not the agent accepts this book, I've enjoyed the experience -- even this grinding part now -- and learned much about writing. In this way if nothing else, it's been a great success.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you read Robin Hobb's Assasin's Apprentice series? It's a great example of how to stick to first person POV.

SBB said...

I haven't, but I will look at it after I get this off to the agent. Thanks!