Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Font madness

Too many fonts! I've been looking for fonts for Floozy and am drowning in the ocean of typefaces available.

I had to step back and take stock.

First, the font had to be free or licensed by Creative Commons so that I could use it without paying royalties. (Nothing against the idea of paying royalties since creators should be compensated for their creativity. This is why I pay for my MP3s. But CURRENT budget constraints do not allow me the luxury of paying for the rights to a font.) This reduced the number of fonts considerably.

Second, the font needed above all to be readable at a reasonable distance. Floozy is not a common word these days, so I don't want anyone to be puzzled by both the word and how to read it. That removed a fair number of fonts, too.

Finally, I wanted the font to be playful and have a sense of fun around it. Yeah, I know, maybe a lot to ask from a font, but that's what I wanted.

After spending about 20 hours over the past few days looking at fonts until my eyes burned, I finally chose one. You'll see it soon. Thanks for all the suggestions and help! I appreciate it.

And now I'm going to call it a night. Hope you have great tomorrow.

Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Lulu.com

Buy Murder by the Acre at Amazon.com.
Buy Murder by the Acre at Barnes & Noble.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in HARDCOVER at Lulu.com.

Buy MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf Harbor

No comments: