Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Speed

So mostly I've been quiet because I don't have much to say and that which I could say isn't pleasant or helpful to me or anyone within hearing so I've chosen silence. Silence and reading. I've been reading a lot of books. I've raided my local library several times now, grabbing ten to twenty books at a time and gratefully losing myself into other worlds.

The people behind the counter always seem surprised by the number of books I check out. Even a little suspicious. "So ... are all these books for you?" "Do you read all these?" "Man, you must not work." "I'd like to spend all day doing nothing but reading." "These are due in two weeks. Just two weeks." I just smile mysteriously. Or maybe I'm smirking. Hard to tell, really.

It's actually my only dependable superpower: I read very fast. My sisters and brother also read fast -- books were a huge part of our lives growing up -- but I didn't realize how fast I was compared to other people until I got into college. Jon, my college roommate, constantly expressed his surprise at my speed. I was surprised by his surprise. I had never noticed before.

Anyway, that's what I'm doing. What have you been doing? Anything interesting? Share!

Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Amazon.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Barnes & Noble.com
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Lulu.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in hardcover only at from Lulu.com.
Order MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf

2 comments:

Jean said...

I read pretty steadily, but I'm not that fast. My dad is a voracious reader -- one to two books a day.

When nothing else is going right or the way you want it, an escape into other worlds can help by either providing a break or helping your mind find new solutions to what's troubling you. And those solutions turn up in the unlikeliest of places.

I hope all goes well on your scope on the 25th. Glad you've gotten those arrangements made. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

I'm working in my garden, trying to figure out how to grow things. I've got zucchini, tomatoes, watermelon, and beans. I've been trying to keep the weeds down--not very successsfully I might add. I'm mulching, composting, and planting. I do these things after my "day job." :) I'm trying to read more.

Our "Biggest Loser" contest is over. Finally! I didn't win, but it's okay. I'm still losing and soon I'll be down to my best weight.

Hubby is hang gliding all weekend and we will have a crowd. He loves it and the guys who come are pretty pleasant to have around.

Family is all good except for a little drama. Hopefully it will all blow over. I've been playing peacemaker.

That's about all for me. "Tag" you're it!