Monday, June 01, 2009

Facebook VS. Blogger

Why spend time on Facebook instead of posting on my blog? Let's compare the two. Yes, we're going to whether you want to or not so there!

First, Facebook is designed for short updates, and it is easy to post those short items. The blog is harder to post to. You have to think, and in this political climate, that's not easy or appreciated.

Second, you can see what your friends are doing all on one page. With the blog, I have to go to each blog to see. I'm lazy, you know.

Third, I get comments. Yes, comments. On Facebook, I get lots of comments. Don't get many here. That hurts my little feelings and makes me want to kill thousands and thousands of people and laugh at their terror and pain while wearing my Dick Cheney mask.

Fourth, Facebook has FarmTown, a game that I'm addicted to. And did I mention I get comments on Facebook? I get comments.

However, Facebook isn't perfect. For instance, its focus on short updates means you never get into a topic in depth. Also, the sheer number of updates can overwhelm me. Frankly, I'm not that interested in the 1,001 quizzes that everyone seems to take over there as well as the people who update 30 times a day. I'm sorry, but their lives aren't that interesting. At least to me. Call me shallow. But not to my face if you know what's good for you. And your family. And your pets.

Also, Facebook has ruined most of the blogs I used to read. Their authors have deserted their blogs for Facebook. All their wisdom has been reduced to news briefs. This can be a relief, but I do miss wisdom sometimes.

Anyway, I will keep Harbor Street for the foreseeable future. Won't give up Facebook -- I'd miss FarmTown -- so for now, I'll just do both. I'm talented that way.

Now, wasn't that more than you wanted to know about that subject? Nod your head. Now raise your hands. Shake them all about.

Night!

Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Amazon.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Barnes & Noble.com
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Lulu.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in hardcover only at from Lulu.com.
Order MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So does this mean we who are less talented get to drop this blog? I do not have time for two pages and do not use facebook, but if you are not here but once a week then i can check it every friday and be uptodate.
roen

Trixie said...

It is a quandary. I hate what Facebook has done to blogging. You are right about that, especially for writers who value something more than a quick blurb on inane thoughts (or lack of thoughts).

I dunno the answer. I'm so sapped of energy and focus right now that it is hard for me to cope. Why was it just plain easier BEFORE the intrusion of Facebook?

Facebook also has put me back in touch with dozens of old friends, so I value it for that.

I also don't want to mix all the different parts of my world -- there are some Facebook people I do not want to invite into my bleak little blogging world. I want to protect my identity in blogworld more than in Facebook world. Blogging feels so much deeper and more personal that I want to be selective about who I invite there.

If I had the energy to do both regularly it would be better, I think.

Michelle said...

Facebook has just become my escape. It's bad. Instead of working through my thoughts and dilemmas by writing them out, I just push them aside altogether.