Sunday, June 01, 2008

A spider ate my brain

      Been in a funk. Had the wind kicked out of me, both personally and writerly, and so I considered ending the blog and walking away from writing in general. Fortunately, a friend of mine gave me World of Warcraft, and I've been busy killing things ever since. And being killed by things, too. Particularly spiders.
      I am not a particularly good player. In fact, I am a spectacularly bad player. I've been killed by: young nightsabers, thistle boars, webspinner spiders, sprites, fell off the island -- twice, rabid thistle boars, sabers, giant spiders, harpies, owls, car salesmen, IRS agents, giant crabs, water lizards, a splendid variety of the undead, and so on and so on. In fact, the creatures of WoW consider me a delicacy. Nightstalkers and spiders will go out of their way to have a bite of delicious me. I am finger -- uh, claw, digit or tentacle lickin' good.
      I've spent a lot of my time as a spirit soaring around looking for my body. (WoWers understand this. If you're not one, just take it on faith.) In fact, after having died five times in a row, I soared around the island just looking at things because it was more fun than playing. (My friend Roen rescued me. She plays a terribly powerful character who is the equivalent of a nuke. But alas, she has a group of terribly powerful characters that she normally plays with -- they're on some quest involving a ring and some little folk -- and thus isn't often available to pull my tasty bacon out of the ever-hungry fire.)
      That's one of the not-much-talked-about-but-true advantages to not writing for a living. Unlike Holly Lisle, I can take a break and still have food on my table. Holly has to work hard -- and seriously, I know of no writer who works as hard, as creatively, and as productively as she does -- and she can't let up. She has a family to support. If she has a funk, she has to write her way through it.
      Always keep moving, I guess. That's the only way to deal with something. Go through it and out the other side. Got to remember -- however hard it is -- that every tunnel ends, that every cave (even those infested with vile sprites) can be mapped, and someday, eventually, if you keep moving, you'll make it back into the sunshine. Where a giant webwood spider will promptly eat you. Sigh.
      But after you get your spirit back into your body and turn that spider into goo -- not me; I resurrected and got out of there -- then you can keep moving forward. So that's what I'm doing. Moving forward again. Oh, I'm going to kill a few more creatures on WoW and vice versa, but it's time to pay bills, do laundry, clean house, write, and be me again.
      And if you're a member of WoW, stop by and say hi. My character is a night elf warrior known as Reevemer. He'll be the one with a spider eating his brain.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe earplugs?

DS was a regular on WoW, but has given it up. He wasn't being rewarded fast enough to suit him. Though he's got a couple of friends that play, so he knows to look for you if he's on with his friends. Don't ask me what he's known as. I've not a clue about that game.

It's funky here, too, especially when I'm not feeling in the groove. I'm just gonna have to keep moving, too. Got company coming in a couple of days.

Sigh.

Anonymous said...

You have to watch those spiders, Tech! They'll get everywhere. I hope your mood continues to improve. I'm rooting for you.

Michelle said...

Be cheery :)

I know several that play. And I was offered free trials to try it out myself, but I guess I didn't have enough Ram available (too many pictures on my computer) to play it so I gave up trying instead of it becoming something costly.

I'm rooting for you too.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I would like to interview you for our City Talk program on Tri-City TV/Channel 59, a leased access channel, in Bartlesville, OK on Cableone. We will be broadacasting very soon, late June/early July.

Let's work together to promote your books, etc. Give me a call, Suzan Perkins,918-335-0079

Oh, btw, I have had many things that seemingly ate my brain but never a spider!

Erudite Redneck said...

Re, "Had the wind kicked out of me, both personally and writerly ..."

Dude, tell me who and why, and next time I'm consciously backslid I'll drive down and kick somebody's a-- for you, OK?

Erudite Redneck said...

Wow! SIX comments! ;-)

Hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee.

Just tryin' to cheer ya up, he said snickeringly. :-)

Anonymous said...

OK I am trying to be avaiable! lol but you killed me three time in 30 min last night! Ok i could have gone to the bank and gotten my underwaterbreathing potion but you would have died while i was gone. So it was my fault for not heading to surface faster. but lv 65 in lv 15 place should not die!! MUST BE A RULE SOME WHERE!
Roen
or Ricekrispy (say hi to me too!)