Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Q&A on EndlesS

What is EndlesS?
A softcover collection of 50 or so of my poems. Here's what Gloria Williams of Wry Words said about it: "… an unexpected little book of treasures … EndlesS is full of riches that even a person not fond of poetry will enjoy and a poetry lover will be thrilled by it. I highly recommend it."

Where can I buy it?
EndlesS is available exclusively on Lulu.com. Here's the link. It's $9.99 (plus shipping & handling).

Will it be available on Amazon.com?
No. I investigated placing it with the other online retailers, but with their markup, the book would be prohibitively priced. I don't think people should have to sell a kidney to buy one of my books -- although, of course, if they want to, that's okay.

Will it be available in hardcover?
Yes. In June, I'm going to publish a library edition. Unfortunately the cost of hardcovers makes it less attractive than I would hope. (It's going to cost around $20 just to produce it.) I'm going to publish that version so that I can donate hardcovers to the libraries that support me.

Will you have book signings for EndlesS?
No, not by itself. It will be available at the book signings for Murder by the Acre, which will be published later this summer.

Can I preview the book?
Yes. If you go to the purchase page, there is a small preview of the book. It includes the poems: "Creationsong," "Sky," and "Torrent" (on the back cover).

You've left out several poems you've featured on 51313 Harbor Street. Will they be collected in a book?
Maybe. I'd like to do two other poetry collections, Undying, a collection of fantasy and science fiction poems, and Quicksilver, a collection of spiritual poems. But both will depend on the response to EndlesS. Publishing a book is a labor-intensive, and while I certainly don't expect anywhere near the sales of Murder by Dewey Decimal, it would be nice if people bought a few copies to enjoy or give as gifts or use as coasters. I don't care as long as they buy them, but I do think that reading EndlesS is the best use for it.

I read a proof copy of EndlesS, but the published version lists poems that weren't in the proof. What gives?
Depending on which proof you read, anywhere from two to 10 poems were switched out for other poems. I tried to provide a variety of moods and subjects in EndlesS. Some poems made the cut, and others will have to wait for the appropriate collection.

May I review EndlesS?
Certainly. I welcome your input, whether it be good or bad. And if you say bad things about it, I promise to not hate you forever … only while you live, which regrettably will not be long.

You cover a vast range of subjects and situations in EndlesS. Are these all from your life?
Well, yes and no. Many of the poems in EndlesS are what I call "poetic fiction," which means I attempt to adopt the persona of someone experiencing what I'm writing about. The emotion is real even if the situation is not. However, many of the situations are from my life. After all, I'm in my forties now. I've lived a bit of life and picked a few scars, emotional and otherwise.

What's your favorite poem in EndlesS?
I'm glad you asked that. All my poems are my "children," and it's hard to pick a favorite, but I do have one. In the comments, you pick what you think my favorite poem is. If more than one person picks correctly, I will draw one winner from the correct entries. The winner will receive: a Murder by the Acre t-shirt (available in small to extra-large), a signed hardcover of Murder by Dewey Decimal, a Murder by the Acre kitchen magnet, and a set of EndlesS note cards (10 cards and envelopes). This contest will end June 30th. If no one has picked the correct poem by that time, I will draw from one winner from all the entries. By the way, the poem "EndlesS" is not my favorite, although it is one of my favorites.

That's all the time we have. Anything else you'd like to add?
Just that EndlesS is on sale now at Lulu.com for $9.99 (plus shipping and handling). You can find it here.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I meant every word I wrote! :)

Tech, I think your favorite poem is "Torrent." It's on the back cover of the book, and I know it's won several awards. So that's my pick. :)

SBB said...

You're entered in the contest, Gloria. I'll let you know June 30th if you've won! :)

Anonymous said...

Ok i think torrent too because she was entered :) but i have not had a chance to read all the others yet so you might be wrong....ok i know that is not a word associated with you!
Roen

SBB said...

Roen, a good way to fix that is to BUY the book! :)

Anonymous said...

I keep hitting "refresh" and it keeps coming up Wednesday. :(

Anonymous said...

What is EndlesS?

It's the passage of time while waiting for a new post!

SBB said...

No, EndlesS is a book that no one bought.

Michelle said...

I'll buy it! I just can't right now. I will though. On the 15th. I promise.

SBB said...

Thanks, Michelle. You're a doll!

Erudite Redneck said...

"EndlesS." Bought. On its way. It goes right to the top of my to-read pile! Can't wait to read it! :-)

SBB said...

Thanks, ER! I appreciate ya! Do you remember what day you purchased it on? Lulu gives me a report of sales, and I'm attempting to track EndlesS. Since I've only sold 10 books, it makes it easier to track than with MBDD.

Erudite Redneck said...

Order Date: 2008-06-01 20:53:00

SBB said...

Thanks, ER. You showed up this weekend. At least I know they're reporting the sales to me, just a few days late.

AK Huckeby said...

Got paid today, have cash money, bought "Endless" - can't wait to read.

SBB said...

Thanks, Adam! I appreciate it!