Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Independence Day

      I met J. in college. He lived on the same dorm floor as I did, and we had a Tuesday morning astronomy class together. It was a casual acquaintance but friendly. He was nice, a bright smile and read science fiction books. He kept to himself, but he was carrying 18 hours of hard courses. He mostly studied all the time, but he was an okay guy.
      One day I opened the college newspaper to see a photo of him as a member of the college gay and lesbian rights organization. Shocked is not too strong a word for my reaction. I grew up in a small Oklahoma town, and we didn't have any open gays. For that matter, we didn't have any Jews, Hispanics, Muslims, Catholics, etc. Of course, I'm sure we had some, but they kept a very low profile. It wasn't a town or a school that was kind to people who were different, and I was different. I liked speech, drama, writing, science fiction and fantasy. Frankly I was lucky to get out of high school alive. I was bullied and called names almost daily. I was called "faggot" a lot. Since I knew I wasn't one, I made up my mind that probably the other guys who were called that weren't ones either. So when people would tell me that someone was gay, I just assumed they were wrong.
      This wasn't exactly an enlightened attitude, but you'd be surprised to find how well it served me. Because I refused to make that judgment as well as others based on gossip, hearsay and rumors, I made a lot of friends. And I was aware that they thought I was "accepting" and "liberal" and "wise." I lapped up that praise, even though I knew I harbored prejudices as strong as other people's. I just buried mine behind a grin and a joke.
      J. made that impossible. I wanted to remain friendly to him, but the other guys on the floor made it obvious that anyone who was seen talking to him would be branded as a homosexual and I couldn't have that. So I carefully avoided him. Made sure that I was late to the astronomy class or early. If he wanted to study for a test, I had other plans. I was very smart, very sly.
      This story doesn't end well. Sometimes stories don't.
      J. didn't change his behavior at the dorm. He didn't try to recruit anyone. He didn't make passes at anyone. He was the same as he had been before, but we couldn't see that. We didn't want to see that. I didn't want to see.
      Some nice Baptists -- guys that were my friends and that I wanted to be my friends -- decided that maybe it would be better if J. moved out of the dorm. Or maybe they simply wanted to mistreat him and gave that reason later. They had all their Bible verses and all their disgust for his sexual preference. So one night while he was gone from his room, they went in it and urinated on his bed, tore up his papers and threw his clothes into the toilet. Then they waited for him to come back.
      My dorm mate and I knew what they were doing. We sat in our room and tried to study. My dormie told me that there was nothing we could do. "He brought it on himself," he said. I felt sick. I felt afraid. I felt ashamed. But this wasn't about me.
      Finally at one in the morning, I couldn't stand not knowing. I went down the hall. His room was open. The student assistant and a couple of guys I didn't know were in the room. They were helping J. clean the mess up. J. was crying as he stripped his bed.
      The S.A. asked me if I knew who did it.
      I told him that I didn't. The lie came out quick and fast and convincing.
      Except J. had stopped and was looking at me, and his tear-filled eyes met mine and he knew the truth. I could see that he did. I could see the pain in his eyes. I could see the betrayal.
      I turned and walked back to my room.
      This story doesn't end well.
      I told myself that I do something, that I'd help J. somehow. I made a lot of bold declarations to myself. Maybe I would have done them if I had got the chance.
      But J. parents drove up the next day. They moved him out.
      The Baptists were pleased. They joked about it. I sat there while they did it. I didn't say a word.
      A year later, when they turned on me for being a different faith, I wasn't surprised. I deserved it. Silence carries its own justice.
      J. didn't return to class. The student assistant told me that he had received a hardship withdrawal. The student assistant, who had been friendly to me before, could barely bear to talk to me.
      I confronted the S.A. He was still friendly to everyone else on the floor. And he had to know some of them participated in this. Why was he still friendly to them?
      "Because I expected better of you," the S.A. told me.
      I didn't have an answer.
      I don't know what happened to J. I tried to find out a few years ago, but I had no results. But the event changed me. Made me ashamed. Made me finally start standing up what I said I believed in.
      And I guess I became a friend to gays and other outcasts. I have people who make judgments about my life because of the people I'm friendly with. I've taken hassle for being friends to gays, Mormons, New Agers, and yes, Baptists. When I think that I should keep my mouth shut, when I think that maybe it's not my fight for the freedom to be, I remember that dorm room twenty years ago. I remember J.'s eyes as I lied.
      Twenty years ago I had justifications. Twenty years ago I was just a kid. Twenty years ago I didn't know anything about life. I didn't trust God. I didn't have faith. I was very young twenty years ago.
      I hope J. has a good life now. I hope he has found friends who are brave and trustworthy and good. I hope he was able to move beyond what happened. Maybe someday he will read this. If he does, I want him to know that I'm sorry. I want him to know that I'm fighting the good fight and I won't stop, won't be silent, won't shut up, won't give up as long as I'm alive, that freedom has to belong to everyone, even those we would cast out because they're different, that Independence Day applies to everyone and we can't exclude anyone. It's only freedom if everyone shares in it.
      I hope somehow he knows that.
      I hope he can forgive me.

13 comments:

Trixie said...

I think we all know that pain in some form, maybe with a different name. It is hard to face the ugly parts of our lives -- those times when we betrayed with our silence, or worse. Thank you for sharing your example. I'm sure it hits a spot inside all of us.
The one example that comes to me was with a co-worker/friend who took a very wrong turn in her life. She started an affair with a married man who worked for the same company and started coming to work drunk. At one point there was a fight in the building with the man's wife. She was clearly self destructing. One day she came to me really, really drunk and crying -- she had drunk four beers while driving to work and finished off what was left of the six-pack in the parking garage before coming in to the office. After talking with her, trying to console her, hugging her and trying to counsel her, she went to her desk. I went to personnel and had her fired. She was fired not just because of my report, but it was the final straw after all the destructive things she had been warned about. I never spoke to her after that day.

Erudite Redneck said...

Amen, Tech.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing. We've all be in such positions at one time or another. All we can do is learn and move on.

Michelle said...

A very powerful memory Tech.

Thank you for sharing that with us.

Slim said...

I'm impressed by your willingness to tell a story that doesn't show you in a good light.That was a shitty thing you did back in college. But if it hadn't happened, you might not be the good person you are today. You've always made me feel welcome here. I appreciate that and who you are now.

Gloria Williams said...

Only the very young haven't done things they regret. I know I have. But you learned from what you did, Tech. Most people don't learn. You became a better person by facing your mistake.

Rain said...

"Hindsight is always better than foresight," a life lesson well learned. I appreciate your honesty.
I have made mistakes and there are a couple of times that I wish I could have a "do over". Since that is impossible, I've learned my lessons and yet I have struggled to forgive myself. I am working on this all of the time,because I am much harder on myself than I am on others.
Thank you for the insightful post, tech.

Anonymous said...

I know this wasn't the point of your blog but it's one thing to say you dont want people abused. Noone wants that. But it's a whole different ball of wax to say that gay marriage or other special rights should be given to people who have chosen to sin against God and nature. Are you saying you support those rights when the Bible clearly says their lifestyle is sinful. I don't hate homosexuals and I'm not scared of them but I don't approve of their sin. Where do you stand?

CJ

Erudite Redneck said...

I suggest that CJ be allowed to play with that ball of wax he brought in here. That's not what this post is about.

You wanna talk about gays and the church, come over to my place. :-)

Mark said...

Hi Tech. I know you aren't saying those hateful people are hateful because they are Baptists. Hateful people come from all religions.

I am a Baptist.

You know my position on Homosexuality. Or maybe you don't. I don't hate them, nor do I shun them, or treat them as something less than human. In fact, I never met one I didn't like. I try my best to treat them as I would want to be treated. With respect. I just don't happen to agree that they were born gay, as they claim. It doesn't mean I hate them.

I would never have treated your friend that way and I would have been the first to speak out on his behalf. It is the Christian thing to do.

Sometimes, even Baptists aren't really Christians. Or, if they are, they don't always behave as if they are.

I wonder. Did you keep in touch with the ones that did those things to him? I wonder how many of them still profess to being Christians.

Linda said...

I'm at a loss what to do here. Part of me feels like not saying anything is to repeat Tech's mistake, in some way, because one of my sons is gay. But what is there for me to say? People pretty much make up their minds about these hot button topics and nothing anyone else says changes those minds. This kind of thing always makes me feel helpless, so I just go about my life, accepting my son and his friends (straight and gay), doing what I can to make the world a better, more loving place than the folks with hatred for anyone different from themselves appear to want it to be. :)

Linda

Linda

Michelle said...

We are all entitled to our opinions. Just as we are all entitled to make our own choices in life. And whether it is a choice or matter of genetics, the fact is that it is that particular persons life. How they live it, the choices they do make are between them and the Big Guy. The sister I grew up with is gay. Is it something I would choose for myself? No. Do I agree with how she lives her life? No. Do I love her? Yes. And, I respect the fact that she has the right to live her life the way she wishes. She knows all the same info as me in regards to our Faith. We went to the same private school, after all. But the Lord doesn't want to force us to follow Him, He wants us to choose it. It's where our Faith comes from.

I think the fact that you took the time and the heart to write about this experience on here Tech, shows real courage and strength of heart.

SBB said...

I deleted two comments because they did not fit the tone of Harbor Street. Harbor Street is a place when people can safely visit in the spirit of intelligent and kind friendship. It may sound corny, but that's what it is and what it will continue to be.

Trixie, your honesty is appreciated. You understood what I was talking about.

ER, thank you.

Joel, thank you for understanding.

Michelle, thank you for your support.

Slim, thank you. Now you know I'm not perfect! :) I hope it wasn't too much of a shock.

Rain, you're welcome. Thank you for reading it. Your blog has much wisdom and intelligence. I've enjoyed reading it.

CJ, you missed the point. The point was how my silence and failure to speak out hurt someone else and how that changed my attitude toward those that are outcast and downtrodden. To attempt to make it into something else is disrespectful to my intent. You will have to form the circle without my aid.

Randall, we all have those moments. We have to learn from them and do better.

Mark, the story is true. The young men were Baptists. Nowhere in the story did I expand my focus to include all the Baptists. As a Baptist, I am conscious of those who attempt to put us in a particular niche. I resist that.

Linda, that's the approach more of us should take in the world. It would be a better place if we did.

Well said, Michelle. And thank you for the kind words.

Amberclear, it's a shame youth is wasted on the youth! Thanks for dropping by.

Thank you to all those readers who understood and supported me. I appreciate you.